Vintage NASA Flight Overalls found in a thrift store

Andrei

WoW!! That's cool.anything that's been to space is worth some good bucks. Neat that they plan to donate some to help the museum. I wish I could find some items like that at a thrift store.

I think they could easily meet their auction expectations. Space collectibles can carry some big money. I think it is an awesome find and I hope the two college students do well.

Here are some screen shots.

post-10825-0-32817500-1503238055_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-37627200-1503238071_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-10299100-1503238083_thumb.jpeg

Datil_Mountain_Muse

That is a really nice find. I imagine they are Nomex or whatever the fireproof fabric was back then.

If those particular suits were worn in space, than I would say the sky's the limit for pricing at the auction.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the light blue Nomex ones appear to be the real deal, at least from that one shot. I'd love to see the lower legs, as the flight articles usually had horizontal strips of Velcro sewn to the legs.

Here's the ill-fated crew of STS-51L, the last crew to ever wear these. The Challenger ripping itself apart when the right SRB burned through it's lower mount and tore the stack apart (it didn't really explode so much as it just ripped itself apart and all that fuel from the External Tank ignited) was the event that stopped the use of crews flying in what was essentially the same sort of gear fighter pilots wore. After the shuttles flew again, crews wore partial-pressure suits for the rest of the shuttle flights.

sts-51l.jpg

The training suits had red stripes embroidered into the labels and that one lacks that. The pads clean out crew suits are nice, but not as valuable.

NASA wouldn't even let the astronauts keep their suits and they got recycled. Astronauts tend lean to the short/lean side, so it'd be unusual to find one in a 'hefty boy' size, not that this matters for space collectors.

You guys think military collectors take their passions to new, scary and expensive directions? We have nothing on space collectors. Most of them wouldn't blink an eye on dropping well into 4-or-5 figures on something like this.