A Local MIA Comes Home

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

A few weeks back, I was working at my father's business when a friend came in and told me that they had identified his uncle's remains from WWII. He remembered that he had been MIA, then the plane was discovered in 1961. Given the times, the skeletal remains were buried at Arlington together. In 2001, another crew located the crash site again, and additional remains were located. Several years ago, our friend was contacted by the Army for a DNA sample, and they had finally found a match.

Sgt. Harold Burton Davis returned home August 10, 2017, with much fanfare through nearly all 60 miles of the trip home after landing in Columbus, OH. Fire trucks, LEOs, and normal people lined the roads, were stopped on overpasses, and lined the streets here in town for the procession. Similar appreciation was shown when he was finally laid to rest at his mother's grave.

Our friend told me that the Army asked if he wanted a uniform, and at first, he saw no reason to need one, but thought of me as he knew what I do with my collection. So I am completely honored to be the caretaker of a ca. 2017 uniform issued to a MIA from World War II. I suspected that it would be a combination of WWII ribbons on modern blues, and was correct. I find it very fascinating, and had no idea that they did this when remains were located.

According to Pacific Wrecks, the plane was on a flight to Port Moresby from Horanda Airfield. Our friend told us that the maps that they used listed Mt. Kenevi as an 8000 ft mountain, when in fact it is a 12,000 or so ft. mountain. The crash site was located at 10,500 ft. From one of the local articles and/or what our friend told us, he was near to some leave and a possible trip home.

His findagrave has been updated for his identification and burial:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=davis&GSfn=harold&GSmn=b&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=37&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=181962550&df=all&

A British/Aussie photo of the crash site from Pacific Wrecks:

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-25/41-30532/1964/b25-kenevi-wreckage3.html

Another site from Pacific Wrecks that includes the site as of the 2001 rediscovery

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-25/41-30532.html

post-9670-0-76265900-1503163843_thumb.jpg

Garandomatic

The underlined portion... "There is no place like home." I couldn't agree more, this place has been good to my people for over 200 years. This is his final letter home, and note that it is closed with "God be with us till we meet again." Finally that came true, it seems.

post-9670-0-21405800-1503163911_thumb.jpg

Garandomatic

It was a beautiful day. This is a few moments before the funeral ceremony.

So, Sgt. Davis, welcome home. I am honored to have your uniform.

post-9670-0-00070100-1503164726_thumb.jpg

Welcome Home Sgt Davis.

Thanks for posting all this Garando. On his service, would he have rated Aircrew or Aerial Gunner wings? We see it says in his OBIT that he was a passenger when this B25 went down, but we also see he was in the 3rd Bombardment Group, 3rd Bombardment Squadron on the second Pacific Wreaks site, so there's a good chance he rated a wing.

Garandomatic

Thanks man!

One of the articles said he was a telagraph operator of sorts, so i doubt he did. Just an unfortunate soul on an old D model B-25. I haven't had the time to sit down and put things in order, so i may find something out about what they were doing, but i think there were fellows from other units on board, which may give credence to the idea that they were getting some leave.

Thanks man!

One of the articles said he was a telagraph operator of sorts, so i doubt he did. Just an unfortunate soul on an old D model B-25. I haven't had the time to sit down and put things in order, so i may find something out about what they were doing, but i think there were fellows from other units on board, which may give credence to the idea that they were getting some leave.

Maybe he wore this patch on the cuff? Telegraph operators fall under the Signal Corps, IE Communications.

post-1963-1220238667.jpg

Garandomatic

Maybe he wore this patch on the cuff? Telegraph operators fall under the Signal Corps, IE Communications.

post-1963-1220238667.jpg

I bet he did wear that. I'll re-read the articles and clarify as soon as i can. Getting ready for school to start back up, and it's pretty hectic.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's an honor to be the caretaker of his memory.

Garandomatic

I wonder... I'll check his enlistment date, it's a possibility. I thought maybe the army may have stuck it there when he should have had the Philippine liberation ribbon...

I wonder... I'll check his enlistment date, it's a possibility. I thought maybe the army may have stuck it there when he should have had the Philippine liberation ribbon...

It wouldn't be that either the Philippine Liberation Ribbon, as he died way before the Leyte Luzon Operations commenced. Also if that's the case that Filipino PUC would be in error too.

It's close... He enlisted in September '41...

Hmm, it's close, but in my estimation not close enough, last groups or individuals reporting for duty in the PI would have to have been November 1941, at the very latest, early December 1941, after that the PI is on it's own, and at that time he was still in basic at the very least or juust finished it, and would be starting his Signal Corps specialty training.

Lets see if we can sort this all out :lol:

Below info comes from the AF Unit Decorations Awards and Campaign Participation Credits, of 1971,and unit WIKIs.

At least with the Filipino PUC, we can say they put it on there because the 3rd Bomb Group did received it for it service in the PI in late 44 into 45, but the truth is he was long gone by that time. A PI PUC is given for the 3rd Bomb Group for the Dec 41-May 42, but that's either an error or the unit claims it because of the survivors of the 27th Bomb Group, which was in the PI in Dec 41, was incorporated into the 3rd Bomb Group in March 1942 in Australia. (Another 27th Bomb Group was reactivated in the U.S. and sent to the MTO, but that's a different story).

Same with the PI Defense Ribbon, the wrong one, when it should of been the PI Liberation Ribbon, in either case and in short, they gave him unit awards that his unit was entitled to for the period of World War 2, because if you note, we see a Silver and Bronze star on the A&P Ribbon, this probably what they thought for 3rd Bomb Group for the entire war from 1942 to 1945, 3rd Bomb Group is, according to the AF Unit Decorations Awards and Campaign Participation Credits, of 1971, as having 8 campaign credits for the period of WWII.

These being.

Not in chronological order.

Bismarck Archipelago 15 Dec 43-27 Nov 44

East Indies 1 Jun 42-22 Jul 42

Guadalcanal 7 Aug 42-21 Feb 43

Leyte 17 Oct 44-1 Jul 45

Luzon 15 Dec 44-4 Jul 45

Northern Solomons 22 Feb 43-21 Nov 44

Papua 23 Jul 42-23 Jun 43

Western Pacific (Air) 17 Apr 44-2 Sep 45

Also now that we're thinking, the U.S. PUC with Oak Leaf, this unit was awarded two during WWII, for actions from 23 July 1942-23 January 1943 (Papua New Guinea I believe) and 17 August 1943 (New Guinea) so that in respect is correct, as he was present in the unit at these times.

I bet he did wear that. I'll re-read the articles and clarify as soon as i can. Getting ready for school to start back up, and it's pretty hectic.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's an honor to be the caretaker of his memory.

These patches were approved 1 March 1943, so in theory he might of worn it, depending if batches were sent out to Australia, with these guys wearing them on their Khaki shirts if they wanted.

Garandomatic

I believe the family was given a PH, either in 44, or when he was declared dead in '45. Our county has a book with every man that died in it, and a fairly thorough listing of awards known at the time, and it does read PH. I figure they may have gotten it, but they later found out that it was an accidental crash, and therefore not due to enemy action.

Interestingly enough, our family friend's son, who I work with, brought a copy of the government's history on Davis for me to look at... And it is incredibly complete. I am talking pictures of the recovered debris, another man's dog tags, some boots, para cord, and the rib bone that was used to identify Davis... I'd been told that's what was recovered, but holy cow... to actually see a picture... I should be getting a copy of it, and I will scan through as it may talk about his individual service. The family did say that they thought he was in the Philippines, but we will see, and I will absolutely update when I know more.

• 5 months later...