WWI Garrison Cap Question

stratasfan

Hi! I have a question for some of you who know Great War uniforms. I saw in a picture a Garrison cap (hope I got that right, but the little tent-looking caps) sticking out of a pocket of a Great War uniform. Now, I did know that they had them, but never thought about it. I only ever think of the Doughboy hats or the doughboy helmets. Those garrison caps . . . I know in WWII they had piping that was different colours for different branches, etc. How can you tell a WWI garrison cap from later ones? Also, did they have that colour piping? Can you find them around still?

Thanks for any thoughts!

There is a wonderfully detailed pinned thread about these caps posted by World War 1 Nerd at the head of the WW1 section. I've referenced it many times. Calling WW1 Nerd a fount of knowledge is like calling the Pacific a puddle.

Mikie

Hi! I have a question for some of you who know Great War uniforms. I saw in a picture a Garrison cap (hope I got that right, but the little tent-looking caps) sticking out of a pocket of a Great War uniform. Now, I did know that they had them, but never thought about it. I only ever think of the Doughboy hats or the doughboy helmets. Those garrison caps . . . I know in WWII they had piping that was different colours for different branches, etc. How can you tell a WWI garrison cap from later ones? Also, did they have that colour piping? Can you find them around still?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Stratasfan,

What you saw was the Overseas Cap. You would be hard pressed to stick a garrison cap in a pocket to be sure, as they are the stiff peaked cap.

As for the overseas cap, yes they are plentiful.

Piping, tho not always seen, was only meant to be part of Officer OS caps, but one can never say with 100% certainty as there is always an exception to the rule when am EM can purchase his own cap if he wished...

Most enlisted, issued, OS caps would be found with a stitched hole for a collar disk. Purchased caps may or may not.

Officer caps would typically sport rank insignia, but many are seen with US or branch of service pins.

There is an excellent thread by WWI Nerd in this forum that will show you all you want to know...check it out, certainly.

Plenty of photos to go by...

TR

There is a wonderfully detailed pinned thread about these caps posted by World War 1 Nerd at the head of the WW1 section. I've referenced it many times. Calling WW1 Nerd a fount of knowledge is like calling the Pacific a puddle.

Mikie

Ditto...

VolunteerArmoury

I've not read any official so this may be not be accurate but that's the later term for them. I understand they were Overseas Caps, with Garrison Caps being the modern Service Cap (billed) & the field hat was the Campaign Hat. I know when I was in the Overseas Cap was called a Garrison Cap & other terms. All of the Overseas Caps that I have are crude. I don't recall seeing govt tags or dates in any like one would find in later ones. I have some made almost like a Pill Box Cap. Officers were prescribed branch piping back. I still see them frequently & seldom pay over $20 or so. Some had insignia but some didn't. Lots of variations & such.

Thanks to all of you! I will definitely go look at the pinned thread! There I was looking for the wrong type of hat! It is Overseas Caps I meant. So appreciate the help! I am always amazed at the amount of info to be helped with here! I will read the thread, and if something is unanswered, I'll post more! ;) Sounds, though, like there should be more info than I can imagine!