• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#51 arclight

arclight
  • Members
    • Member ID: 297
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

Like I said earlier, I really dig the AIDE stuff. This one is one of the nicer ones, and came in it's original box.
DSC00584.JPG

#52 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

These are some Navy Aide aguilettes along with the Admirals' shoulderboards they would have served. The boards on the left belonged to Admiral Hopwood. There is a small brass plaque below them in Chinese (Mandarin?) that is supposed to be in recognition of some award from Chiang's governement. Can't recall which award -I'll have to look it up.
The boards on the right seem to be pre-WWII, but owner is unknown.
DSC00585.JPG

#53 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

This is one of my most favorite groupings! About 13 years ago, I was driving down Hwy 74 from Monroe to Charlotte, coming back from a CW reenactment. On a whim, I stopped into some (now defunct) antigue shop. Found this group of medals. They wanted $100, and I offered $80, and bought them quickly! Years later when I figured out how to research servicemen, I sent in the request for this guy. NARA had the records, but wanted $50 for the photocopies. I paid and got close to 150 pages of incredible information. This guy was even on the Typhus Commission! The real gem of it is the Mexican Svc medal. The patch is not original to the group or the time frame, so if anyone knows where I can get a WWI Navy PM1 striker for a reasonable price, please PM me.
DSC00586.JPG

#54 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:54 AM

Closer view of the Mexican Svc medal reverse... The rim number is there and matches that listed on the official documents.
DSC00588.JPG

#55 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

closer shot of his official paperwork...DSC00587.JPG

#56 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

...and a commendation, although no medal was ever awarded.DSC00589.JPG

#57 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

Some armor...
DSC00590.JPG

Pssst..I really want to get a tanker's helmet, but don't want to pay an arm or a leg for one. Let me know if you know of a good deal!

#58 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

Another Navy Grouping. This one is Charles Speck.
DSC00591.JPG

#59 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

From the Speck grouping. I particularly fancy the buckle... Subic Bay.
DSC00592.JPG

#60 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

Some of the few foreign items I have. Some Nazi stuff I got way back in High School. I doubt the authenticity of the pilot and observers badges. The buckle was given to me by a close friend of the family after her husband passed. The note card is from her, stating that it was taken of a Nazi pilot shot down and captured by her late husband's destroyer. I don't really collect much of the foreign stuff anymore, especially the Nazi items, since the repro's are becoming too difficult to detect.
DSC00593.JPG .

#61 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:24 AM

Some WWI stuff.DSC00595.JPG

#62 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

A close-up of the souvenir plates. (nevermind the Iron Cross -it's an obvious fake, but looks good there). The plates are supposed to say something like "in memory of great times."
DSC00596.JPG

#63 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

Your typical yard long, dated 1917. Picked it up on another whim, near Hillsborough, NC. If you ever are in the area, stop there. There's a ton of antique shops.DSC00597.JPG

#64 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

the picture was in pretty bad shape, but you could make out the important details, so I talked 'em down $10 bucks, and walked away with this for $70. A very young, fresh out of West Point, Mark W. Clark was the CO of this company. If I had not recognized the name, I would not have bought it! He is on the front row, sitting in the center. His big ole nose is the give away.
DSC00598.JPG

#65 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

A VietNam grouping. One of the first times that NARA sent me a copy of the soldier's actual photo.
DSC00599.JPG

#66 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

This one is one of my oldest. Another chance stop at an old shanty/antique shop. This belonged to a SeaBee WWII vet. He had carefully carved his name into the knife's well worn sheath, and carefully engraved his name on the knife, too. It came with his dog tags, and a framed "neptunus rex" document from when he crossed the equator on the USS Mt. Vernon. Boy, I wish I could have seen that shellback ceremony! It also came with a chief's hat, which he could have worn, but later found that it had another sailor's name inside the sweat band.DSC00600.JPG

#67 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

One last thing. It's not technically militaria, but super cool nonetheless. When my grandparents passed, it came down to me to clean out the house. They were pack rats, to say the least. I found some really cool things, and alot that should have just been thrown away long ago. When going thru their attic, I found some things like an original Gone With the Wind movie poster, but it was all eaten up by squirrels, so basically worthless. I did find this...an inaguration invitation to my great grandparents for Eisenhower's Presidential inaguration. I could not believe my good fortune! I's a beautifully printed document!

DSC00594.JPG

#68 Popo367

Popo367
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,633
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

Your coffee table is amazing......wonderfull idea for a desk......you have an amazing collection...... http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#69 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

navy_corpsman_group.JPG

Some new additions! Wish I could attach a name to this one :( The ribbons are beautiful, and the patches seem to be unnused. Sadly, the striker is not one of those with a date sewn on the reverse.

#70 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

general_staff_id_bages.JPG

Recently got another GSC ID badge, and figured I'ld dress up the riker case.

#71 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

imjin.JPG

For some reason, I've taken an big interest in the Imjin Scouts.

#72 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

imjin_closeup.JPG

I got the Imjin patch without "DMZ" on the bottom at the Raleigh Militaria Show earlier this month. When I was paying for it, the dealer said the $4 I paid for it was a really good deal, and another on-looker commented that that kind was more rare. Anyone have any additional info on the styles?

#73 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

MG_Gleszer.JPG

Several years ago, I bought a group of framed documents from MG Roland Gleszer, who retired as CG of the Military District of Washington. Turns out, that when he was Assistant Division Commander of the Second Infantry Division when that outfit went back to Korea, he came up with the idea of the Imjin Scouts. This is his promotion cert. to BG (temporary). I also have his original officer's commision, too.

#74 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

mcKorea.JPG

Here's a grouping I found at a flea market in Charleston back when I was a cadet at that bastion of leadership and knowledge, The Citadel. Sadly, it is unnamed :(

#75 arclight

arclight
  • Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

howardgrimesPH.JPG

Several months back, I got some things from a lady in Indiana who had gotten some stuff from a storage unit that had been abandoned (probably didn't pay the rent, or the owner passed away). I got it for $60! I tried to research it, and it seemed most likely that it belonged to 1LT Howard Grimes, KIA, pilot in the 359th Fighter Sqdn, 370th FG, 8th Army Air Corps. Am still waiting to hear from the NPRC. If anyone can offer up any more information or alternatives for likely candidates, I would be grateful!
Additionally, if anyone has a brooch and drape that would be appropriate for this, I would love to make a deal! Please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users