Simple Question about KIA Vietnam Era Purple Hearts

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

I seem to remember that at some point the government stopped engraving Purple Hearts issued to KIA's. Is this correct? Would, for example, a 1970 KIA Purple Heart be engraved? I tried to research but couldn't locate anything. Thanks in advance.

I believe Frank Smith figure out that the Marines stopped around May 1968.

The Army, Air Force, and Navy kept on engraving. The Army still engraves posthumous medals; I've never seen an Air Force or Navy one post-2001, so I can't say for sure on those (the USS Cole one I photographed, from 2000, was not engraved). I can say the Marines still do not posthumously engrave their medals.

Dave

I believe Frank Smith figure out that the Marines stopped around May 1968.

The Army, Air Force, and Navy kept on engraving. The Army still engraves posthumous medals; I've never seen an Air Force or Navy one post-2001, so I can't say for sure on those (the USS Cole one I photographed, from 2000, was not engraved). I can say the Marines still do not posthumously engrave their medals.

Dave

In one of my topics involving a Vietnam Marine group I posted,it contains the actual letter explaining the cut off time for engraving.I will try to find it.