Gemsco Crossed Anchors for ID

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

On the 1940's Gemsco card, could be a Sembler/Gemsco due to the light blue color of the card

Thoughts?

Gemsco crossed anchors 001.jpg

Salvage Sailor

That was my initial thought, but it's "odd" to me.....Warrant Officer Boatswain patch (insignia)?

I still think it's for a cap. Most boatswain marks I've seen have unfouled anchors, this one matches the WO hat badges.

The Boatswains Mate, an enlisted rating, wears the specialty mark of the crossed anchors. The warrant officer specialty of Boatswain has worn the crossed foul anchors just about since the sea was invented..

The specialty mark is worn 1/4 " above the sleeve lace on the service dress blue uniform. They are a sewn on insignia. The older styles were circular cut and hand sewn on. Present day they have a square backing for ease in sewing. Indicates the same class of officer as the line officer star or supply officer oak leaf, etc.

The WW2 overseas cap insignia were pin-ons, 5/8 the size of the sleeve device. Gold for the warrant officer and silver for the chief warrant officer. The khaki shirt collar devices were the same size.

Master's Mate is absolutely right, I can show regulations back to 1883 that specify foul anchors for boatswains.

Useless bit of Naval Trivia.... Any USN enlisted rating that ends in MATE, originally had a corresponding Warrant Officer specialty. I think Boatswain and Aerographer may be the last hold outs.

Cut a rectangular hole in a card stock 1 1/4" x 1 1/8". The foul anchors should fit within the boundary of the cut out. That was the late 1940s dimensions for the Boatswains devices..

For the Navy warrant boatswain, from bottom to top. The sleeve stripe, 2" above the cuff, then 1/4" above the stripe, the specialty mark..

For the Coast Guard warrant boatswain, from bottom to top. The sleeve stripe, 2" above the cuff, then 1/4" above the stripe, the CG distinguishing mark (shield) then 1/4" above the shield the specialty mark..

• 6 months later...

Useless bit of Naval Trivia.... Any USN enlisted rating that ends in MATE, originally had a corresponding Warrant Officer specialty. I think Boatswain and Aerographer may be the last hold outs.

Gunner too! ;)

(when i was a boot, I went to Weapons Dept..we had a Warrant that we referred to as Gunner...that was '92-'96)

In 1797, the USN introduced its first (recorded) Warrant Officers. They were the Bosun, Gunner, Sailmaker and Carpenter. The Carpenter (and his Mates), were mostly responsible for Repair and Damage Control. Up through my day (retired 1999), the Warrant Damage Control Officer was refereed to as Carpenter, ( familiarly as Chips). He was a Carpenters Square as a collar device.

Gunner too! ;)

(when i was a boot, I went to Weapons Dept..we had a Warrant that we referred to as Gunner...that was '92-'96)

I have a CWO4 "Gunner" that works for me at the moment. She is actually a "Ordnance Technician - Surface" but as far as everyone's concerned, she's a warrant "Gunner", and filled that actual job on her last ship.

In 1797, the USN introduced its first (recorded) Warrant Officers. They were the Bosun, Gunner, Sailmaker and Carpenter. The Carpenter (and his Mates), were mostly responsible for Repair and Damage Control. Up through my day (retired 1999), the Warrant Damage Control Officer was refereed to as Carpenter, ( familiarly as Chips). He was a Carpenters Square as a collar device.

Yup! Usually old HTs or Dcmen..though there was a time that HT did all DC stuff too..'72 to '88..I knew quite a few that did both HT and DC..I think they could choose.

I have a CWO4 "Gunner" that works for me at the moment. She is actually a "Ordnance Technician - Surface" but as far as everyone's concerned, she's a warrant "Gunner", and filled that actual job on her last ship.

Nice!!