Safely Removing Masking Tape

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

All, pictures say it all. This case dates to WW1 and I would like to remove the tape safely with the least amount of damage to the leather and the name below it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! s/f Darrell

gen_hill_006.jpg

Yuck! There is a citrus based product called Goo-Gone. I would take a small nondescript area and try that. It works well on helmet liners and other things that I've had with old masking tape on it. However, this is leather so, I don't feel near as confident with this. Maybe there are some other ideas out there. Mine is just a possible option. Good luck!

Darrell - If it's old masking tape it likely has a paper base as opposed to duct tape and should therefore be water-soluble. If it were mine and I was so inclined, I'd dab it with water and let it sit and soak in.....see if it lifts------and do it again until it does. Afterwards, when the leather drys, treat it with Pecard to "feed" it.

Just my 2-Cents! Good Luck! Semper Fi.....Bob

Yuck! There is a citrus based product called Goo-Gone.

I swear by Goo B Gone, but in this case I'm not sure anything will do a neat job: the tapes stickum has pretty much become part of the leather and the bond between the two cannot be undone. It's rather like a joining two piece of wood with glue: if you do it properly and then try to break the joint the wood adjacent to the joint will break, not the glue line itseld. Old masking tape is the worst - I have an M1 helmet covered with a bunch of old masking tape and I have not been able to soften that up very much at all and will have to use s stiff wire brush and lots of elbow grease.

I think the best you can do is to try saturating it with water or citrus product to soften it and then gently scraping it off. It will leave marks, but they will look better than the tape.

By the way I have seen references to using wall paper remover on old masking tape but no reports of actual results.

Spray with WD-40.

WD-40? It doesn't squeak and the tape isn't rusted on! :lol: Seriously, I would be careful with WD-40, it is still a petroleum distillate so, I would be concerned about it darkening the leather. Have you tried this before?

Spray with WD-40.

That^ will definitely dissolve the adhesive, but will stain/discolor the leather - unless one doesn't care about that.

Try isopropyl alcohol first. Anything with ANY kind of oil (veggie or animal or petro) will leave a stain.

Softening with water might work, as might a reasonable amount of local heat (such as hot hair dryer) - after all, the adhesive WILL soften under heat, every time. If you could get the adhesive to loosen, it could be gently wiped off in a dry manner = no staining. Sometimes an ordinary pencil or Ruby Red eraser can work... or even try the white and brown erasers - they each work differently (obviously).

Even water on something as absorptive as old leather will probably also stain to some degree.

I hate masking tape.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread away from the masking tape on leather issue, but I have a some what similar problem. I have a 1942 German document that use to be in a frame and was held in with masking tape. How does one go about removing masking tape from paper? Thanks.

- Jeff

I'm not trying to hijack the thread away from the masking tape on leather issue, but I have a some what similar problem. I have a 1942 German document that use to be in a frame and was held in with masking tape. How does one go about removing masking tape from paper? Thanks.

- Jeff

The problem I have always encountered with old masking tape is that the adhesive seems to become permanently hard and defies softening and whatever it is attached to will come loose before the adhesive does as the paper, like porous leather, absorbs the adhesive. I would leave the tape on the document as the lesser of evils. Sometimes you can get the paper part of the tape removed but you will still have a stain or mark where it was. Every recommended solution I have seen or tried for old dried masking tape has not worked and are mostly suggestions that work on adhesives from things like labels.

- Jeff

Is it possible to show a photo of the doc. and the taped area close up?

Try a little bit of lemon juice mixed with water. Start with a weak solution. If I was doing it, I'd try all of the suggestions above on a test piece of leather and see what happens.

John

teufelhunde.ret

Everyone, thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions. Will update you with the results of the methods suggested soon. Semper Fi, Darrell