Very large aluminum foot locker pre 1950

P-59A

This is a part of a grouping I just bought George J. Higashi was a civilian government employee sent to Japan after the war. His uniform is in another post. The foot locker is lined in 1950 Stars and Stripes news papers. I assume that is when he returned to the states. The indication is this foot locker was made in 1950 or before. This is the first time I have seen one of these. Does anyone have any info on this type foot locker?

post-169522-0-71868800-1502585280_thumb.jpg

post-169522-0-41262200-1502585296.jpg

I don't know if this is true but I was told that these aluminum trunks were made by the Japanese in their aircraft factories. Instead of making fighters after the war MacArthur had them making trunks and other such items. I have seen many of these and own one myself. The GI's purchased them and brought them home after the war. Yours is very nice.

Ronnie

I think I paid a hundred bucks for mine. That may have been high, but I really wanted it. I have seen these at Militaria shows but I have not priced them.

Ronnie

I was wondering, when I looking on line trying to figure it out I came across one like this being sold as "industrial art" for $1,800.00. Kind of left me scratching my head.

I wouldn't call this a foot locker. Too big. I would call it a shipping trunk.

Mmmm isn't that what foot lockers are? Kinda joking, kinda not. This thing is big, no doubt about that. I bought it to store my leather flight gear so I don't have to fold things as much.