Type A-2 Mechanics cap

dustin

Anyone that has interest in uniforms, especially USAAF clothing knows of the Type A-3 mechanics cap. This cap is made of HBT with a domed cover and rigid sun visor or more recognizable in resemblance to the basebal hat. Illustrated is its predecessor, Cap, Mechanics, Type A-2. This hat has some interesting features of an adjustment strap and a removable visor stiffener having some versatility. The over all style is like a popular men's fashion of the era, circa 1930's. I don't know its adoption date but the images are from September 1936, which is probably close to it's actual standardization. The predecessor to it, Type A-1, is describe as having fold down ear flaps.

The Mechanics Cap A-2.

post-56-0-39693500-1502575270.jpg

These are a group of aviation cadets at Randolph Feild, Texas, circa 1940. All the cadets arew earing the Type A-2 mechanics cap

post-56-0-54886600-1502575399.jpg

That is one odd looking cap. I don't remember seeing this one before. I have to wonder how and why mechanics needed a specialized cap and how this design was chosen. Thanks for posting it.

Mikie

The armed services had working uniforms, the US Army utilized the blue denim pants, coat, and fatigue cap. These were replaced by HBT garments. The USAAC/USAAF had their own line of clothing for mechanics, even an overall which I think those cadets are wearing designated as the Type B-1. I wouldn't call the caps "specialized". The Type A-1 looked kind of like the more familiar QMC M-1941 HBT cap but with integral fold down ear flaps available in nine different sizes. The cap would keep sweat out of your face, provide some level of protection from the sun,and grease/grime. The ear flaps for wind chill protection. The A-2 may seem "specialized" but is quit simple actually, this hat is more universal one-size-fits-all designed to adjust from 6-7/8 to 7-1/2. For stock, only one stock number is required eliminating procurement/requisitioning procedures. The ear flaps must had been the feature found to be unnecessary. Manufacture of the A-2 was .20 cents cheaper, .51 cents per A-1 and .30 cents per A-2. The hat is clearly modeled after the very popular men's fashion of the era, no doubt about that. Having the removable visor has a purpose, when installed it does afford some level of face protection but then can be removed when wearing of face shields and masks are necessary. Face shields while grinding or welding, respirator systems...what have you. The hat makes sense to me but possibly slightly over engineered. Mechanics head gear was certainly streamlined with the A-3, it was probably found more practical to simply pivot the hat backwards for wearing face gear.

• 1 year later...

Having the removable visor has a purpose, when installed it does afford some level of face protection but then can be removed when wearing of face shields and masks are necessary. Face shields while grinding or welding, respirator systems...what have you.

Great post.

Primarily the removable visor was so the cap could be laundered - the early visor board could not take hot laundering. These were often then lost and never re-inserted, as can be seen in attached pic - the fibre visor is not inserted leaving wavy empty peak.

post-177306-0-97122000-1542451238.png

• 5 months later...
phantomfixer

here is a pretty common photo of the Belle's ground grew...with one A2...would like to find one...one day...looks like the AC blew them out early in the war to clear inventory, based on the cadets wearing them

post-155518-0-27222400-1558117049.jpg