MOLLE Magazine Pouch Question

crayj

There was a pair of tan Mag pouches that recently sold on eBay at a high price.

Can any of you folks tell me what was so special about them to sell at this price?

Closed auction No. 132276085971

Thank You, Chris

Chris,

Good afternoon. There are some other members who can provide more expertise in answering your question but basically you're looking at manufacturer (Eagle) and using unit (MarSoc). (If you are a collector of modern gear please disregard the rest of my post.) Modern militaria really is in very high demand particularly gear used by higher end units - SF, SEALS, MarSoc, etc. In addition to collectors there are a good many airsofters who want to duplicate down to the pouch a MarSoc Marine, Green Beret, etc. (There is a valid discussion amongst modern collectors that they can set a high value in the market.) Now, would I as a collector of modern gear have paid this? No, but it isn't a particular subset I collect. 7 different bidders and 12 bids is a pretty good indicator that this was market price. Hope this helps.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

crayj, if you collect WWII stuff, think of it along the lines or paramarine gear, both MARSOC and the Paramarines were about the same size, elite units, and with their own special gear that is sought after by collectors.

One of them also looked like it had a name stamp, which would've increased the value if a collector bought it.

I think Jeff and Cap hit the nail on the head with their replies. Airsofters and collectors are driving the market. Many Asian and European airsofters have deep, deep pockets.

Thank You all for your feedback, the price of these "sort" of makes better sense to me now. I am still not sure how the manufacturer or end user can be determined? By the color, shape, numbered tag?

Thanks again, Chris

Chris - Now you're stretching my knowledge to the limits. Arch will give you a much better answer but yes to all of the above - tags or lack there of, retention style/system, stitches, etc. A company like Paraclete has a very distinctive retention system. Tactical Tailor has a "stiffener" in their systems. In the case of magazines you can get a sense of production year(s) on how the mag is held in the pouch. Probably more than you wanted to know. The day of a magazine pouch being a magazine pouch is probably long gone. You have to figure each company had to have a way of differentiating themselves from their competition.

Thanks Jeff, good job. I see what you mean about the pouch design evolution and how this would point to their age and who might have used them.

Chris

milsurp_scout_14

At first glance those pouches appear to be the USMC, single M4 mag, speed-reload style. They've got a hard kydex insert with covers that fold down and velcro out of the way, as shown. Most of those I have seen were made by Specialty Defense Systems, with 2008 being the common contract date. I have several brand new in the wrapper. The two in the pictures do appear to be Eagle--one way to tell is that Eagle seems to mark some of their gear with typical data labels, and others with simply the small tags we can see in the backside view. I have not delved further into it, but Eagle stuff is highly collectible, to airsofters and otherwise. There's obviously some provenance to these that I'm missing, as the un-issued SDS versions go for around $8 or less per pouch.

Can someone on this thread recommend the best web sites or places to buy and sell modern tactical gear?

The best place that I know of is eBay. Granted you do compete with people who have deep pockets, but there are still deals to be had there.

I've sold tons of modern items on ebay, mostly to the airsoft crowd. But very often these overseas buyers, when an item gets higher than they want to pay, they will drive the price to a crazy amount and than just not pay. In their mind this is a spiteful thing to do and when you relist the item people will in general not give it as much attention and it will sell for very little. These guys are just trolls.

So just because an item closes on ebay for a crazy price, doesn't actually mean it sold or is worth that.

they are from the early issue of the currently used FSBE2 kits, hence the higher price. you see these sell for more than 100$ each everytime. Fairly sure that's for an airsofter, i doubt a modern collector that wants an early Fsbe kit lacking the patience to find a better deal.

You generally see one of these worn for a quicker access to a magazine.

Wow, I had no idea the Eagle FSBE II kit commanded such high prices.

The rummage bins at the local surplus stores usually have a few FSBE II pouches mixed in. They are easy to identify once you know the label, but don't tell the surplus vendors that. I have snagged everything from Eagle IFAK pouches to shotgun shell pouches to even the elusive MARSOC fanny pack for a few bucks each. The build quality of the kit is excellent, and the coyote brown color works for a wide range of environments.