In Memoriam: Lt. Newell Putnam Wyman - 1944

stratasfan

Just found this gallant young man's story, and I thought I would share it.

Newell Putnam Wyman, a U.S. Navy Lieutenant, piloted the big Catalina flying boats in the Aleutians and the North Pacific, where some of the world's worst weather can be found at almost any time of year. Returning from a mission in March 1944, he was forced down in a savage storm, probably by engine failure. Two of the crew died, but Newell and five others made it to the life rafts. It was freezing cold and the wind was blowing at 45 knots, drenching the rafts and the men in spray. Overhead, two other Catalinas circled for seven hours to keep them in view, waiting for a surface rescue.

Finally, as darkness approached and fuel was running low, one Cat swooped low to try a desperate landing in the midst of the tempest. Lt. Wyman, as pilot, was in command. Fearing the approaching Cat would split in two in the huge waves and the crew lost, he stood up with the spray and the black streamers from smoke bombs blowing around him and gave the would-be rescuers the signal to gun the engines and climb out of their landing approach. The decision was Newell's to make and the pilot of the approaching Cat accepted it. The two Cats overhead circled the rafts once more and set a course for home, the squadron leader dipping his wings in salute. Three days later, surface vessels found the rafts. Lt. Wyman and his crew were dead.

Newell was from Canandaigua, New York. His father graduated from the College in 1886, and his younger brother from the Conservatory in 1941. Newell, a history major and varsity football player who lived at Embassy, graduated from Oberlin in 1938.

Home on leave in the summer of 1943, he married Maurie Lakey of Edgewood, Rhode Island. After his death she wrote to William H. Seaman '24, Oberlin's acting alumni director, of his love for the College. "Newell was very proud of Oberlin and the friends he made there. We wanted to be married in Fairchild Chapel there, but it was Commencement week and we had so little time to do so much before reporting to San Diego. Although I have never been in Oberlin, I fully believe I could walk its campus blindfolded--he told me so much of its beauty and friendliness. . . . I did want you to know that Newell was always thinking and talking Oberlin. . . . I am very proud of the way Newell left, but not at all surprised--for it is just exactly the way he lived--thinking first of others--lastly of himself."

post-151812-0-07274400-1502464262.jpg

Well, it took some looking, but he did get an award. One I've never heard of in my limited knowledge, however.

http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=310964

Navy and Marine Corps Medal

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the World War II

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy and Marine Corps Medal (Posthumously) to Lieutenant Newell P. Wyman, United States Naval Reserve, for heroic conduct adrift with his crew in the northwest Pacific after his plane crashed on 13 April 1944. Lieutenant Wyman sighted a plane about to land nearby. Realizing that it probably would be wrecked in the high seas, he warned the plane by wave-off signals not to attempt a rescue. He voluntarily relinquished his chance for immediate safety and perished later from exposure before the raft was recovered by surface vessels.

General Orders: Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 330 (September 1944)

Action Date: April 13, 1944

Service: Navy

OK. Now I have to know . . . is this a medal that is obtainable? I might have to do a small display for this officer. Turns out that I even own the Oberlin yearbook for his class!