What is This USN Letter "C" Sleeve Badge?

tom63

Bought a small group of US Navy "E" (Efficiency) award badges and this "C" badge was among them. What does it stand for?

post-9295-0-38103000-1502305586.jpg

Salvage Sailor

btw Tom, I should have noted that it's allowed to be worn by the ship on it's bridge wing for one year, but it's an unauthorized award for the uniform which is what you have in your photo. Only the 'E' was authorized for the uniform and then only during the one year award period. The hash marks are for subsequent (and concurrent) awards to the ship or command

See this old 'All Hands' magazine letter to the editor, page 22 http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah196407.pdf

btw Tom, I should have noted that it's allowed to be worn by the ship on it's bridge wing for one year, but it's an unauthorized award for the uniform which is what you have in your photo. Only the 'E' was authorized for the uniform and then only during the one year award period. The hash marks are for subsequent (and concurrent) awards to the ship or command

See this old 'All Hands' magazine letter to the editor, page 22 http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah196407.pdf

So according to that reply in "All Hands" even the yellow and green "E"s that I have were unauthorized for uniform wear. Did I read that right?

Salvage Sailor

Speaking from my own experience 40 years hence, only the red and white E were authorized for wear. If the regs were changed post 1980, someone will chime in.

Well, none of these were worn on the uniform after 1975. After that, there was just a ribbon for the "Battle Efficiency E". The departmental awards were painted on the bridge wings, officially, but the "Green C" most often was painted on the side of the Signal Shack and the "Red E" went on the stack. The individual departmental award patches were never authorized for wear, but I remember them being worn from the time I was a kid in the 1950s up into the 1970s when they dropped all the award and qual patches. I loved them and proudly worn my Green C. No one ever said a word other than "Well Done", "Looks Good Sigs" usually from the CO or XO.