Numbered, named PH but no information found

bunkerhillburning

bunkerhillburning

Hey gang.

Am trying to research this PH but really have very little experience doing so. There is a name and number so at least I have that to work with. But I've not found any information using his name on one of the sites I found.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of where I might learn about thew laws affecting the law of these medals? I know things have changed and I think I heard selling on eBay is no longer allowed.

post-64023-0-16654400-1502219290_thumb.jpg

bunkerhillburning

I should add I found a very similar named soldier who served with the 134th Infantry Regiment who died during the war and is buried in France. First name is different, middle initial the same, last name the same, no Jr. attached to name.

bunkerhillburning

Well, I'll be - I had no idea. I was thinking WWII as all the other material from the group purchase was from that conflict. What is the give away for determining a WWI PH?

The brooch was the number one reason. The finish, the ribbon , and the fact it will be numbered under 80XXX is the best way to know.

Kurt

bunkerhillburning

So a Boston man joined a New York regiment in New York.

SA1794 - how did you find the info so quickly? I did a quick search on the name and came up with nothing at all. Was there additional information about the man?

So a Boston man joined a New York regiment in New York.

SA1794 - how did you find the info so quickly? I did a quick search on the name and came up with nothing at all. Was there additional information about the man?

I found an article about him on genealogybank.com. I'll see if I can PM you a copy of the article.

bunkerhillburning

SA - thank you.

Aznation - I just signed up for the free trial on Fold3 - is the site worth the monthly cost? I do have plenty of photographs and items which I could research. enough info on the site?

Just did a quick search on my grandfather and found very little. He was in the Hawaiian Division but really, not a lot of info.

I have an 8th AAF POW group to a man named Butterworth, I am going to have to see if this was his dad!

Kurt

I have an 8th AAF POW group to a man named Butterworth, I am going to have to see if this was his dad!

Kurt

His actual name was Buttermore . No relation.

Kurt

Fold3 is pretty good. I've had some hit and misses though. By the way, I access Fold3 for free through my library account. I have a Metropolitan Library account. You might want to check with your library and see what applications you can access for free instead of paying for them. I can also get Access Newspaper Archive online for free with library account. I've found this very useful as well. Additionally, the library also has a Price It Antiques & Collectibles powered by WorthPoint that I can access and look up historical actual prices paid for a various things such as on Ebay or other auction sites.

• 1 year later...

Hello Guys, Here's a little rehash on Pvt. Lewis H. Butterworth, ASN 1700217. He was awarded PHM No. 16199, & served with HQ Co., 306th Infantry, U.S. 77th Division. And, just for the recird, he was born in provenance, R.I. I'm November 1893, & was residing in NYC when he was inducted in Sept. 1917. Although I too have managed to dig up his NY - AGO Card, along with his Burial Stone App. Card, I just can't seem to find any WIA confirmation, & or date ? Both relevant unit histories list him, but that's about it. There's an index card with the Heart stating he was gassed in the Argonne, but it lists no source for the data. I need above in this thread that USMF Member SA1794 found some confirming info., & would be extremely interested in obtaining it. Any help on this elusive Heart will be really appreciated. THANKS

Best, dpast32

oldradiostuff

Do you have a copy of the A.G.O. card for the award of the Purple Heart, from the archives in St. Louis? One of the St. Louis researchers can likely find it and copy it for you.

No, I haven't got there yet. What's the ballpark fee for pulling an AGO Card these days ? Right now, I'm really trying to get hold of a copy of the article as mentioned originally in this Thread by USMF member SA1794. I did PM him yesterday, but haven't heard back. I could always just sign up to 'GeneaologyBank.com, but I truly have to join up for a year for 1 article. If I don't hear back from my PM, it looks like I may have to.

OK Guys, All is well here as I've found the article I was seeking. It doesn't go into the detail I was hoping for, but I did gain valuable information. I bit the bullet so to speak & signed up for a month on GenealogyBank.com. Honestly, I may end up keeping the subscription, as it appears as if there's some decent newspaper reference there. I will say though, for a guy who was born in R.I., he sure got around ! THANKS

Best, dpast32