1/35 scale Tarawa Diorama

Old Marine

Brian Dentino

Dennis, this is an amazing work of art. That camo is SPOT on! Great job, can't wait to see the finished work completed.....its already outstanding!

WOW Dennis;

The base with that knocked out MG bunker looks great. Definitely love the Japanese KIA, THERE is that sense of realism, and the camo on the Marines in on the money.

Looking good.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Lucky 7th Armored

Wow! I just spent the last 10-15 minutes catching up on this thread and am simply amazed! The attention to detail is spot on and like others have said the camouflage is perfect!!

I cant wait to see the next development.

Haydn

General Apathy

I started work on a small Tarawa diorama. I wanted to make this diorama for a long time and now I finally have some time to get it started. I usually don't post projects while they are in progress, mainly because I forget to stop and take photos. But, I have been following the progress of Manny's Vietnam project and some of Lars' projects in the past and it is interesting to see the progress and how everything comes together. So here is my Tarawa project.

The concept is to depict the Marines as they move further inland and show the confused, close fighting amongst the maze of trenches, and the jumble of wreckage and palm trees.

The diorama is small, it measures 10.5 Lx 5 W x 6H. The height of the model is dictated by the glass display case that I bought specifically for this project.

All these dioramas start out with a few figures and then expand out from there. I bashed the figures together from a real mix of everything, DLM, Tamiya, Testors, Airfix, Verlinden, Warriors, Master Box,etc... The hose on the flame thrower is a bit of electric wire insulation.

Hi Dennis, really enjoyed following the thread on your Tarawa diorama, love the effort you have put into it all especially the detail you have produced copying the frog skin camo.

As a GMC 353 owner I am still enthralled the GMC model you posted some while back, and have kept images in my GMC file .

Thanks for sharing your excellent work with us . . . . . . . . . .

lewis.

post-344-0-72013100-1504098787.jpg

post-344-0-18055100-1504098790.jpg

post-344-0-97515800-1504098791.jpg

I finished painting some of the figures and added some more stuff to the ground work. I placed the 3 riflemen. It is a slow process.

post-2843-0-58599700-1504572354_thumb.jpg

post-2843-0-05361000-1504572367_thumb.jpg

You have no idea how excited I get when this topic comes to the top, and you're posting updates Dennis. This diorama is blowing my mind! The trick you did with the fuel laying in the barrel rim, and running down the side, is absolute top-tier modeling. Ammo crates, with boxes of ammo in them. Bolt heads rusting. Aaaaaagh! I need to sit down... drat, already sitting, gotta lay down...

Once it's done, you should install a live camera pointed at it, so I can look at it online all the time.

Edit: OMG! I just saw the close-ups, and the crate the Marine is standing on has edge wear on it, so you can see wood through the paint. *fainted*

Hey Dennis, this diorama is a masterpiece so far.

There is great detail and the Marines look spot on. There is awesome weathering and I look at it and I can feel the heat of the south Pacific and the sounds of battle.

Looking forward to more progress shots.

Semper Fi.

Manny

This photo gave me the idea for the figure breaking out the grenades. Notice all the empty grenade canisters lying around. Also the Marine in the foreground is carrying a Japanese rifle, I think its a type 99.

post-2843-0-29515400-1504741003_thumb.jpg

Wow, those guys are beautiful. As good as we've ever had. I like the carbine leaning on the palm tree. Almost looks like the third Marine has a sword hanging off his left side. Hard to tell for sure.

Wow, those guys are beautiful. As good as we've ever had. I like the carbine leaning on the palm tree. Almost looks like the third Marine has a sword hanging off his left side. Hard to tell for sure.

Hey Dennis,

This is coming along nicely. It's nice to get inspiration from little things you notice in pictures.

Blacksmith, I believe what you're seeing is that handle of an Entrenching Tool. Instead of having it on his back this Marine decided to attach it to his pistol/cartridge belt.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Dennis,

Amazing how you can capture the true essence of combat through the plastic models.. Once again you have done some remarkable work..

Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Leigh