(2) Lt. Col. Oak Leaf Pinbacks - Named H.W. LUEDDE, Makers?

dc9

Hello All,

Picked these 2 up from the same estate and while I could not find any information on the Vet, I am guessing that if they belonged to the same person, he might have spanned WWI and WWII? This is the second Officer Named insignia I have found and am wondering if there is a suggestion as to the Maker, or country of origin. I have seen the second "Sterling" marked type, but, not sure if there is a maker associated with it...any suggestions here? If anyone has information on the Veteran's Name, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share it, as I plan to make a suitable placard for display.

Thanks,

Eric

Usually, when I see a name or initials on the back side of officer;s rank insignia, I assume that the rank was given by the named officer to another officer upon their promotion to that rank. Why else would someone go to the trouble of having a jeweler engrave a name on the back of the insignia? It isn't like a LT COL would mark them because other LTCs were likely to steal his rank insignia.

I was commissioned with a pair of WWII pinback 2nd LT bars, but they were just bars that I had picked up and wanted to be commissioned with. The Captain's bars that I had pinned on at my promotion came from my mentor. I never had them engraved, but they were important to me because they were his.

Allan

• 1 year later...

Usually, when I see a name or initials on the back side of officer;s rank insignia, I assume that the rank was given by the named officer to another officer upon their promotion to that rank. Why else would someone go to the trouble of having a jeweler engrave a name on the back of the insignia? It isn't like a LT COL would mark them because other LTCs were likely to steal his rank insignia.

I was commissioned with a pair of WWII pinback 2nd LT bars, but they were just bars that I had picked up and wanted to be commissioned with. The Captain's bars that I had pinned on at my promotion came from my mentor. I never had them engraved, but they were important to me because they were his.

Allan

Allan,

Thanks for that insight. Certainly a more reasonable explanation!

Regards,

Eric

Hello All,

I am interested in knowing the makers, if possible. I am in the process of labeling all my examples as I want to see if I can collect a good cross-section of makers up through WWII.

Thank you!