Krag type-1 scabbards

rldarmstr

Don't know how much interest there is an Krag scabbards but for what it's worth;

I picked up a second type-1 hooked scabbard for the Krag bayonet a while back. I already had one but was acquiring a second as an upgrade since it looked to be in nicer condition. When I got the scabbard I was surprised to see the opening was not trapezoidal but rectangular. I little research and a jog to the old memory and I realized I had the modified type-1 scabbard which allowed the bayonet to be inserted in the scabbard either way. This was changed in July of 1895.This was the first one I had actually seen and/or owned.

The top picture is of the trapezoidal opening and the second picture is of the rectangular opening.

post-3856-0-44199500-1502052827_thumb.jpg

post-3856-0-06796800-1502052846_thumb.jpg

Both scabbards are the first type where the belt hook rotated 360 degrees. Seems like any tijme a person thinks they have all there is to a collection something else pops up out of the blue.

Nice catch; I've always been interested in the scabbards/sheaths for the bayonets and knives, as well as the blades themselves. The Krag bayonets and scabbards are as complex as the rifles/carbines themselves.

Hi Folks,

It has been my experience that the vast majority of the hook type scabbards have rectangle openings. I haven't been on the hunt for one, but I can't' remember even seeing an early trapezoidal type scabbard, other than in pictures on the net. I think your trapezoidal scabbard is quite the prize.

Marv