VAQ-35 HGU-34/P

horridohutch

horridohutch

I recently found this helmet locally and because of the name on the back was able to find the original owner. He used this same helmet from training all the way through his 3rd command as an ECMO on EA-6Bs. He said he did not want to use the V-tech liners because he heard too many complaints of hot spots. He also said he just was slow to adopt new flight gear as his career progressed. The helmet is from VAQ-35, the "Grey Wolves", a very short lived shore based squadron in the early 90s. When I found it it was missing the O2 receivers and had white straps. I have since restored it with Mr Clapps help to what he remembered it to be when he served wearing it. He sent me a picture of a Prowler intercepting a Bear and said that is him on the left in back, and the helmet you see is the one you see here. My second original fleet helmet, I am very pleased to add it to my collection.

post-133566-0-32554900-1501949700_thumb.jpg

post-133566-0-26698500-1501949732_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
horridohutch

So I finally found something associated with VAQ-35 and Mr Clapp confirmed that the Officers mess did use these during the short 3 years of existence. He said his was packed away somewhere. I went ahead and bought this one to go with the helmet. Thanks guys for your comments, I am glad you appreciate my humble contribution to the forum.

post-133566-0-31777300-1503450327_thumb.jpg