Vanguard hallmarks....

Flightpath

Hi
one of the most common (but very nice) US Navy aviator wings are the Vanguard pin back with the raised 'Vanguard, N.Y.' inside the shield.
These are almost always sold as WW2 wings; I'd like to know more about them and if they really are WW2 vintage.

Here is the hallmark along with the hallmark on the rear of my Vanguard USN observer's wing (I'll be asking about them later).

Cheers, John

post-105780-0-99633600-1501932793_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, this is the 1940's Vanguard hallmark; a such marked wing should be from WW2 to KW.

In the mid 1950's they adopted the stamped "VANGUARD" hallmark, and in the late 1950's (or early 1960's) they adopted the two digit "1V" marking. The three-digit "V22" marking should be from mid-1960's to present day.

My two cents...

Thanks for the info tomcatter.........

So that being said, my Vanguard Observer wing would be classed as a WW2 wing...

cheers, John

post-105780-0-57665900-1501961236_thumb.jpg

Maybe my computer monitor is playing tricks on my eyes, but is the VANGUARD stamped into the metal or raised up from the metal on your crew wing? On my screen it appears to be stamped into the metal. If so, Tomcatter's information would indicate that it is mid-1950s in vintage.

Hi Kimo,

yes, that photo is a bit tricky, I just had another look at the photo, it's not my pilot wing and am not sure, the observer is mine, the hallmark is stamped. I'm looking on the net and it's hard to tell in all the photos! :wacko:

I have a Vanguard pilot wing on the way so I'll be sure in a few days, others might be able to help.

cheers, John

Hi Kimo,

just looked at the photo of the ones I bought and others on the net, the pilot wings have a raised hallmark.

USMCRECON posted a good photo on 18 Feb 2011....... raised.

cheers, John