How to tell real Vietnam era US produced SSI from modern fakes?

Camaro69427

Camaro69427

Please excuse this probably very elementary question, but how do you tell real US produced Vietnam era SSI from a more modern produced one. It seems all the hype is for In-Country produced patches and there isn't a thread on the forum dedicated to simply US produced ones. I mean, not every subdued 25th ID patch can be Vietnam era right? There must be something you can look for to determine if it is Vietnam vintage. Construction types? Pig tails on back? Does the flecks of white on the back of the patch rule work for VN patches too? From what I have read, merrowed edge starts showing up in US Military made patches in the mid 60s, but I read also that a late 60's patch has a flatter merrowed edge than later produced ones. Is that true? Examples of what to look for would be great and benefit not only me, but others who are new to insignia as well.

EDIT: I have also noticed that some patches are floppier than others. Does this mean they are modern (Well, at least Post-Vietnam)?

Well, I may be wrong, but I don`t think there is much in the way of difference between a standard US made subdued patch from 1968 to one made in 1978. Some of the differences you cited may be more due to a difference in contractors than a difference in era.

You have to keep in mind the patches were manufactured in the tens of thousands. I believe many of the patches from the early runs were issued and used all through the 1970's. When I have picked up Vietnam era veteran's lots that have included fully embroidered subdued patches,I've never really noticed anything that really stood out about them compared to patches from a later era.

Camaro69427

You could look for flat edge patches.

Could you find a picture of a flat edge patch to show me?

I have another question as well. Are the glue-on patches modern manufacture? I'd assume they are, but just want to check.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a trustworthy website dealing with US produced Vietnam era SSI? Normally, I'd just compare mine to ones on eBay, but I know how untrustworthy people can be on there.

I NEED to get myself some books.

Most US made WW II, all Korean War, and all post KW patches (until c. 1968), are flat edge. So you want to look for major US units which served in VN in flat edge.

I don't collect the current insignia, nor do I collect subdued. Others will have to respond.

post-622-0-59553900-1501950909.jpg

post-622-0-47492300-1501951228.jpg

Camaro69427

AH, Cut-Edge! I know about them, but thought when you said flat edge thought you were referring to a type of merrowed edge or something like that. I do have a few like that. They are repro'd though, aren't they?

Are there some US Produced post WW2 cut edge patches that use the nylon threads that shine under black light?

There are plenty of WW II type patches flat edge cut edge for the major units which fought in VN that are real and not repros. You are making this much more difficult than it is. As I said, learn what major units fought there and if you know what a cut edge/flat edge patch is you are home free.

US made patches were made with synthetic threads beginning in the 50s so you should expect them to shine. Both examples I showed you shine under black light.

I cannot speak for repros of these patches.

Camaro69427

One last question:

How long after WWII were white-back patches produced? Is it possible to find a legit US made merrowed edge patch (Colored or Subdued) with the white on the back?

Sorry about all the questions, just clearing things up in my head. It's all making a lot more sense now. Thank you!

One last question:

How long after WWII were white-back patches produced? Is it possible to find a legit US made merrowed edge patch (Colored or Subdued) with the white on the back?

Sorry about all the questions, just clearing things up in my head. It's all making a lot more sense now. Thank you!

White backs 1950s really, also there was some WWII/50s patches that were upgraded to merrowed edge, as well as merrowed edges that have White backs, here they'd by poly.

Here's a bunch of topics for you.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/217338-big-red-one-patch-is-it-ww2-issue/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/242805-ever-seen-a-ww2-patch-with-the-merrowed-edge-added-later/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/77125-merrow-edged-patches/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49573-variants-of-merrowed-edged-patches/page-3

AH, Cut-Edge! I know about them, but thought when you said flat edge thought you were referring to a type of merrowed edge or something like that. I do have a few like that. They are repro'd though, aren't they?

Are there some US Produced post WW2 cut edge patches that use the nylon threads that shine under black light?

Where are you located in PA? let me know if possible I can meet up with you and go over patch contstruction. I have plenty of examples of good, bad and ugly ones.

Camaro69427

Thanks to everyone for your input on this thread! My knowledge has greatly benefited from it all!

Where are you located in PA? let me know if possible I can meet up with you and go over patch contstruction. I have plenty of examples of good, bad and ugly ones.

PM sent.

Here's the Cut Edge Subdued page on Ebay, but be aware, some of them are really not 67-69 specifically made period cut edge patches, but rather unfinished ones, meaning that they got away before they had their merrowed edges applied, a case n points would be the several 1980s first time used ones, IE Special Operation Command, SPECIAL FORCES tab and the MOUNTAIN and it's accompanying 10th Division patch, SAPPER tab, all these insignias coming into wear well into the 1980s, the SAPPER tab in 2004, perhaps even the 6th Infantry Division one, another unit from the 80s, though here, they may have made some subdued ones by virtue of the 6th Div being active from Nov 67 to Jul 68, like an early summer-mid summer 1968 run, not sure on that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcut+edge+subdued+patch.TRS1&_nkw=cut+edge+subdued+patch&_sacat=0