Novice question: Diameter of KABAR handles

usmce4

In reading one of Frank's articles he shows the varying thicknesses of KA-BAR handles during production runs. However, neither he nor Cole mention measurements at all. Are any of you as concerned with details as much as I am as to have gone so far as to measure them? (I only have 4 to measure so that doesn't really give me the "big picture")

And..... at what point (in thickness) would one qualify as a "fat" handle? --- Those somehow seem the most attractive to me.

Would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks in advance, Art

Hey Art - was never curious to the point of measuring them, but there certainly are thicker / thinner handles. Which presents implications if matching one to a sheath, as the keepers are different lengths. Generally the thinner handle MKIIs are the early ones. Also, as the handles are tapered, and ovoid, not sure what measurement you would use.

Hey Art - was never curious to the point of measuring them, but there certainly are thicker / thinner handles. Which presents implications if matching one to a sheath, as the keepers are different lengths. Generally the thinner handle MKIIs are the early ones. Also, as the handles are tapered, and ovoid, not sure what measurement you would use.

Not sure how scientific it is, but I measure them at the thickest point from top to bottom with a caliper. Example: My "fattest" is 33.6 mm or 1.32"

Art

The battery in my calipers is dead, or I'd do the same for comparison.

Beyond that, I'd point out that there is professional help for this fighting knife obsession - which should be avoided at all costs.

@8^o

The battery in my calipers is dead, or I'd do the same for comparison.

Beyond that, I'd point out that there is professional help for this fighting knife obsession - which should be avoided at all costs.

@8^o

I wouldn't go so far as calling it an "obsession" -- let's just go with "all-consuming compulsion" . Sounds much more politically correct.... :lol: