It was a Navy Nurse Day...well and USN

Vix Steel

Ive seen these for sale here and there and always liked them.

Today I managed to buy all these in one spot. I should have bought all the USN items but typically Navy isnt my thing.

I will contact the seller and hopefully go back and buy everything else ( bullion rate patches , shoulder boards and other USN Hat badges..).

Are these collar pins? Where were these worn?

post-2893-0-96768700-1501471934_thumb.jpg

The anchor with "USN" on it is a CPO's hat device and has nothing to do with the NNC devices. The larger of the NNC devices are for hats, the two smaller ones are collar devices. Navy nurses wore these until mid-1944 (June, I think) and then they became actual commissioned officers and wore the regular USN hat device and a new nurse insignia on the collar and above the stripes on dress uniforms.

The anchor with "USN" on it is a CPO's hat device and has nothing to do with the NNC devices. The larger of the NNC devices are for hats, the two smaller ones are collar devices. Navy nurses wore these until mid-1944 (June, I think) and then they became actual commissioned officers and wore the regular USN hat device and a new nurse insignia on the collar and above the stripes on dress uniforms.

The larger ones are also for the collar of the uniform coat, which is why they go both directions. The smaller pins would be for the shirt collar, left side only (rank device on the right).

Justin B.

Picked up the rest of what he had.

I assume the one set of boards are NNC.

Very nice! I love the NNC shoulder boards.

...Kat

The patches are post 1948 Chief Hospital Corpsman (Male). The flat Warrant Officer shoulder boards are WW2 ""era". They are for a Pharmacist or later on, PA.