Does Anyone Know How To Remove Masking Tape Adhesive From WWII Leather Gloves?

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

I recently bought several sets of WWII USAAF pilot's gloves at an estate sale. In typical fashion, I'm finding myself struggling to remove the price tag sticker adhesive that unfortunately gets left behind (the best is when they lovingly slapped these stickers on paper items and photos). In this case, they used masking tape. I carefully tried to use a little soap and water to remove the adhesive, but it didn't really work, and I was afraid to continue for fear of damaging the leather. Does anyone have any ideas how to safely remove this adhesive? Thanks

A way to common occurance here as well.I try to get the tag sale people here to stop placing stickers on old books and advertiseing.Most of this could be avoided of they put the items in a zio lock bag then tagged the bag.

Lighter fluid and fingernail polish will work(acetone)Just use it to dampen a cloth.If you want a safer less chemical method you can see if a local store has a citrus based adhesive remover.Its normally found with the glue and tape sections in home stores etc.

Not sure if natural lemon juice would work as well.

You can always search the forum or internet for ideas as well

AirMechanic

When I tried the soap and water with a cloth, the cloth started turning brown, but that may be from gently rubbing the leather. My main concern is using any kind of chemicals on the old leather, as these chemicals work by dissolving the adhesive. Maybe some type of leather cleaner might work?