AAF Patch Variation? White center, no red dot

Airborne1945

BILL THE PATCH

You mean white instead of red?, I think it's unassigned personnel if I remember correctly, or these came out before they switched to the red dot. I've heard many diff explainations as to why all white.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Airborne1945

You mean white instead of red?, I think it's unassigned personnel if I remember correctly, or these came out before they switched to the red dot. I've heard many diff explainations as to why all white.

Thanks for the reply. Also this is why I should always proof read before I post lol!

Garth Thompson

Where did you come up with that? I have never heard that one before.

BILL THE PATCH

Where did you come up with that? I have never heard that one before.

Over the years from different collectors, it's just what I heard. I just thought in all reality it was just a diff aaf hq's patch. Now I know what it really is.

The correct identification of this insignia is USAAF Civilian Instructors SSI

CDub

Is it? I never heard of that. Is there a reference? There is at least one photo of an AAF guy wearing the patch. I know we have discussed the possibility that the patch was an "assumption" patch made in 1942 when the red dot was removed from the aircraft insignia but it was never approved. There are quite a few variations out there.

-Ski

BILL THE PATCH
Yes Kevin I read that, but it says referred to, that's not definite proof.whos doing the referring? Others collector's? like the ones who told me it was for unassigned troops? I wish someone could find a photo.

Without any real documentation out there, my guess is just a manufacturing variation that doesn't actually mean anything. (However, if I had to offer up a 2nd guess for that white center, it would be "Elite USAAF Ski Troops")

Is this possibly nothing more than a war time error patch and some got used??

Seems no solid evidence of a specific unit but there are titles attached to things it seems to justify or in some cases boost a price.:D

Yes Kevin I read that, but it says referred to, that's not definite proof.whos doing the referring? Others collector's? like the ones who told me it was for unassigned troops? I wish someone could find a photo.

I could of swore that that topic I can't find had photos of it being worn.

BILL THE PATCH

Nice find picking up that old thread, it's still a guess as to why they were mfg that way. I'm leaning to its being a variation and nothing more. I have no proof other then what I was told years ago about it being for unassigned troops, I do not think it was for civilian's trainers either. They had there own insignia

Try some research into Civilian Pilot training program, at the very least should be able to find some images documenting the use of the insignia.

www.nationalmuseum.af.mil

www.archives.gov

CDub

Here is the official WD-OQMC Drawing dated April 1942.

Unless one can produce an official drawing of any other organization within the agency it can possibly be related to anticipation by some manufacturers of the colour change (Aug 1942) of the AAF aircraft marking(Pacific) the red disk was removed to prevent confusion with the Japanese marking.

Incidentally all commonwealth aircraft markings were changed as well with the elimination of the red disk.

The SSI would have no bearing on a colour change unless specifically requested.

Although I do like Kurt's answer-but I would add a white on red Airborne tab and make them "Elite Airborne USAAF Ski Troops"(That will set the Kurt amongst the pigeons!)

Phill

post-7582-0-07709900-1501290643_thumb.jpg