Got a Combat Infantry Badge - Can Have A Bronze Star

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Two weeks ago, I was at the flea market and nearly missed this one. It was sitting on a table, open, right in front of me and I didn't see it for the longest time. Purchased it because it was named. Ran the name and he appears on the 3rd ID roster in the 1947 unit history for the Bronze Star (I wonder if he received 2 - 1 awarded in the field and this one later?) The inside was somewhat dirty and the trim piece had fallen out, so I was cleaning and fixing it, when I got the idea to lift the pad. Under the pad were these two documents. They describe getting the bronze star for receiving a CIB. For years I had heard about this, but until now I had never seen any paper work. None of the medal collectors I know around here have either so I thought it'd be a good example to post.

Interesting to note - section 3 of the larger document specifically mentions the medal to be received will be "engraved."

Best ABN

post-1800-0-45248400-1500956182_thumb.jpg

Yes, in the late 1940s the Army authorized the automatic award of the BSM for Meritorious Service (vice Heroic Achievement) to any WWII vet that had earned the CIB or CMB. If the vet had earned another BSM during the war, the CIB/CMB medal was an OLC. Not everyone applied for the award, and some did it later than others. In this case, the engraving style matches the 50's date on the document. The first ones issued in the late 40s tend to be script engraved. Also, the Army typically sent a replacement for the vet's other medals along w/ the BSM, so often there is an engraved PH in these groups (if one was earned of course). Neat to have the medal and documents together.