WWII Medic or Surgeon Paratrooper Jump Wings

My friend found these Wings in a costume jewelry bin. The are marked sterling and have had a medical caduceus attached by a jeweler. I understand there are a lot of falsely altered Wings out there, but I feel confident these are authentic.

e9Az6vg.jpg

Very cool wings...how is the the medical insignia attached to the canopy?

They look soldered to the canopy. You can see there is a cap between the medical insignia and canopy.

They look to be cast to me, but a clear edge view would help.

Next time see him I will get a photo. It is marked sterling on the back.

The parachute badge itself looks like it is cast. The edges are very soft. I have serious doubts about the originality of this piece.

Allan

The parachute badge itself looks like it is cast. The edges are very soft. I have serious doubts about the originality of this piece.

Allan

Thank you Allan

http://www.1903.com/Paratroopers/WW-II-Medical-Paratrooper-Wing-Sterling-Pin-Back-p615.html

Check out that link- the medical device looks rather similar to me.

For those of you who would buy the above wing- Joe sells them for $70 on his website. For those of you who thought it was an original, I would encourage you to spend time on Joe's site and familiarize yourselves on the wealth of reproductions that he offers.

Allan

A couple of red flags are that the findings (hinge and catch) appear to be placed at different levels, such that the pin looks to be at a strong 30-40 degree angle from horizontal. You won't find that in original wings, where the pin is straight across because the hinge and catch are on the same level. Also the soldering of the hinge and catch is pretty sloppy. Not good signs at all, especially on what looks to be a cast (as pointed out by others) wing.

I think that sometimes you can look TOO closely at an item, but with these easily and frequently made fakes (i.e. medic wings, chaplain wings, rigger wings etc), you have to look at every detail. My personal rule is that for one of these, if there is even the slightest thing wrong.... run away.

Allan - you beat me to it! :P Just a reminder to all wing collectors that they need to have that site bookmarked for reference!