Can anyone I.d this Massachusetts guard tunic?

Frank@hoboken

Frank@hoboken

This is labeled a Massachusetts state guard tunic. Dated Indian war era. Cannot find anything remotely resembling it anywhere in any image. It does have the Mass. buttons. Thanks.

post-167962-0-83929000-1500744818.jpg

post-167962-0-21120800-1500744828.jpg

post-167962-0-23841600-1500744838.jpg

post-167962-0-89915600-1500744846.jpg

post-167962-0-70173700-1500744855.jpg

Sgt. Stubby

What a great coat! First thing I'd do was check the tail buttons and see if they're good and tight and indicate they're original to the piece. Front buttons often pop and have vintage and non-vintage repairs. I agree it's a Massachusetts guard or militia coat. Love that color, really will help to ID it.

Next photograph the BACK of the button post it here. Look at that pic as you google image Massachusetts state button etc and look for similar backs. Narrow down the era.

Because any contemporary photos will be in black and white, try google text instead of image. Search Massachusetts guard militia red parade drill etc. Be sure to try "Ancient & Honorables" etc. Especially look for searchable newspapers and government reports. Often a newspaper or a reporting officer will note unusual things i.e. "In answering the call to aid flood victims, Co. D spoiled their red dress coats and had to avail to Co. H for loan of their stable patrol dress. Co. D refused to surrender said dress upon completion of their duties."

Then google image any leads and check ID'd troops for similar coats.

If you think this is fun, you keep getting closer and often nail it after not too long. That is a nice coat. And a really fun challenge to ID.

Best of luck,

-Comstock

edited to add: What a boob I am. Remember to look for color plates of red uniforms!

I know it's not the Second Corps of Cadets, their red dress uniform had blue a collar and cuffs. I also don't think it's Ancient and Honorable Artillery, If I'm not mistaken their dress uniforms had custom buttons and not Massachusetts buttons.

Frank@hoboken

in 1895 the herald published weekly prints of all the uniforms of the state militias and none of them match. An as for the ancient and honorable from what I can find they are a bit more ornate as well. This is so plain and with only the single row of buttons. I don't know.

Sgt. Stubby

Frank,

I did a fast search of George W. Simmons and Co. (As I hope you did.)

There's a pamphlet (1865) thanking New York and Boston citizens for answering a call from Savannah Georgia mayor asking for humanitarian aid. Sherman has occupied the city and stole anything left of value. Rice and cotton are the only commodities left and Sherman just confiscated all the cotton and sent it to New York. (I wonder if he reported this to the Feds?) The people are starving. Northeners formed a collection and sent relief (a shipload of provisions) to their destitute former countrymen.

On the list of contributors is George W. Simmons and Co. So they were in business during the Civil War. NEXT thing is find out WHEN THEY WENT OUT OF BUSINESS and there you have your "circa" dates.

That said, I will revise my guess of its age to include Civil War. I think most of the National Guards were federalized C.1895, and no more dash and frippery was allowed in the uniforms. So I'm gonna say your coat is 1861-1895 or "maybe" earlier.

Damn nice coat and un-ID'd worth maybe $250??? If you have an IDENTIFIED 1861 Massachusetts Militia coat it could be worth considerably more.

This is the FUN! Find out what that coat is! I'll look around a little more when I have time. My biggest hint would be for YOU to schmooze (by email) public relations officer at Massachusetts National Guard. He or she is probably listed on their site. Maybe they have a Colonel/Historian that will be very interested in helping you. He may know exactly what it is???

ATTACHED are a few snippits from the pamphlet. As a Civil War buff it's a fascinating read and part of the fun of doing research. And what did I get of it - other than more facts on Shermans March to the Sea? George W. Simmons & Co. was in business during the Civil War.

Good Luck!

-Comstock

post-169556-0-12482900-1500892674_thumb.jpg

Sgt. Stubby

One more thing - there weren't unified state militias back then. Up to 1895 each state had as many militias as there were groups who wanted to form. They were kind of organized same as volunteer fire departments. Unpaid, and often autonomous to state or federal governments. They paid for (and designed) their own uniforms, supplied their own arms, accoutrements, and provisions, and paid dues to be in the club. Er, I mean militia. And like the Little Rascals Volunteer Fire Department, waited for the mayor or governor to temporarily call them into official service. In times of peace, often policing riots and national disasters much as the National Guard still does today.

-Comstock

Edited to say:

Oh! The point being there could be dozens of militias all with their own uniforms. Some may be impossible to ID as there's no surviving records.

According to Ridgeway, Tice, Albert, and Bazelon and Guinn, all buttons marked G W or Geo W Simmons are post Civil War,though he worked from the 1830's in Boston, and the company ceased in 1896.All the militias seemed to have their own pattern buttons, or used the state arm and sword crest. I'm wondering if it isn't an 1876 parade or Revolutionary War tribute jacket from the Centennial celebration ?? Awefully cool piece.

Frank@hoboken

Just a note. I haven't bought it lol. I was considering it. But the fact that I have in all my ceaseless effort of researching have seen nothing remotely resembling it has given me pause. Many Mass. military militias are well documented. Parade fraternal or otherwise.

Frank@hoboken

The lining does not screem Indian wars or that type of jacket. Military or such. Seems very civilian. As does the single breasted design. I am by no means an expert but I have bought things thinking they were something else. I know it's old just do not know the origins. Buttons can be changed. And added.