WWI USMC Officers Dress Uniform with EGA's

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

My latest find from the woodwork. Nice named and dated 1917 officers uniform with a beautiful set of silver EGA's. I think these EGA's are a m1904 pattern?

post-2578-0-83116400-1500507057_thumb.jpg

Austin_Militaria

Beautiful set of birds you got there! Congrats on a nice acquisition.

Thanks, I was lucky to get it.

Am I correct in saying these are M1904 pattern because the continents are not applied to the globe? Also probably made by Gemsco?

Love the bird, but love the uniform as well. Any name anywhere? Early officers material of any kind is a tough find. Congratulations. Kevin

Austin_Militaria

Love the bird, but love the uniform as well. Any name anywhere? Early officers material of any kind is a tough find. Congratulations. Kevin

Thanks, Yes it is named and dated June 1917. Will post more info later.

usmcaviator

A lot of people and some books have attributed Models (M) or Patterns (P) to EGAs (largely unsupported without evidence and research). This has resulted in a lot of confusion. Some EGAs can be attributed to specific changes as directed by Marine Regulations, but even then, when a given emblem was produced, is not clear. Theire is lots of work being done by Dr Fred Briuer to interpret the many documents in the National Archive files and make sense of when certain EGAs were manufactured and by whom. There is lots of government contract information in the insignia files on EGAs from the 1920's to 1940's, but very little photographic evidence within these files. To add to the complexity, most EGAs are unmarked and a good deal of emblems were sold privately, so it is very hard to draw conclusions. The influx of makers during WW1 and especially WW2 (getting in on profit opportunity and to meet increased demand) and die-maker artistic license makes the task of assigning P or M in front of an EGA virtually impossible. I date the set you have to the 1914-1920 period. They are decent quality with Tiffany-style latch and hand chased parallels. They have a thin gold plate which has mostly been polished away. Gemsco was a maker of this type and stamped some pieces, however it is unclear if any other maker had also sunk a similar die (hence the many die variations that exist as well).

Mike

Austin_Militaria

A lot of people and some books have attributed Models (M) or Patterns (P) to EGAs (largely unsupported without evidence and research). This has resulted in a lot of confusion. Some EGAs can be attributed to specific changes as directed by Marine Regulations, but even then, when a given emblem was produced, is not clear. Theire is lots of work being done by Dr Fred Briuer to interpret the many documents in the National Archive files and make sense of when certain EGAs were manufactured and by whom. There is lots of government contract information in the insignia files on EGAs from the 1920's to 1940's, but very little photographic evidence within these files. To add to the complexity, most EGAs are unmarked and a good deal of emblems were sold privately, so it is very hard to draw conclusions. The influx of makers during WW1 and especially WW2 (getting in on profit opportunity and to meet increased demand) and die-maker artistic license makes the task of assigning P or M in front of an EGA virtually impossible. I date the set you have to the 1914-1920 period. They are decent quality with Tiffany-style latch and hand chased parallels. They have a thin gold plate which has mostly been polished away. Gemsco was a maker of this type and stamped some pieces, however it is unclear if any other maker had also sunk a similar die (hence the many die variations that exist as well).

Mike

Thanks Mike for the info. He did enter as a Lt June 1917. -Rob

• 1 month later...
Austin_Militaria

The trail of more items came to a dead end so I figured that I can now post the name and some history I found.

Capt. Lloyd Butler Dysart, of Centralia graduate of the Centralia High School and also a graduate of the UW Law School, suspended his study of law, in order to offer his services to his country at the very outbreak of the war with Germany. He enlisted with the Marines 8 May 1917 at San Francisco CA. He was sent from there to San Diego for training, and remained there for a short time before leaving for Quantico, where he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant. He sailed for France 5 Feb 1918 on the Von Stuben and upon his arrival was sent to the front almost immediately. The Marines got everything that the crack German troops had to offer, and they managed to deliver a few surprises themselves. They romped through a battle with the same good natured ease, they might have entered a snappy game of football. Many a gallant lad gave his life in those last months of the war, that the high standards of the Marines might be preserved. Lieutenant Dysart fought with the 6th Regt of Marines, 2d Div. at Chateau Thierry, and at the Meuse-Argonne. He received a bad wound in the foot t Belleau Woods on 12 Jun 1918, and won the Commission of Captain. Captain Dysart is a leader, and his men have said of him, that he expected nothing of them that he would not do himself. He did not follow his men into battle, he led them. He marched with the Army of Occupation into Germany and remained there until Jul 1919, when he sailed for home on the Wilhelmina. He was sent to Quantico upon his arrival in America and received his discharge 20 Aug 1919. He came at once to Centralia where he engaged in the practice of law. He directed the hunt for the murderers of the four ex-service men who were killed on Armistice Day and has been active in American Legion affairs.

post-2578-0-52734700-1503789986_thumb.jpg