China Horse Marine Grouping 1934-1937

kanemono

My uncle was a China Marine. I grew up listening to my Uncle Matt’s wonderful stories about his service in China during the 1930’s. The tales were filled with the people, foods and the strange smells of an exotic country that a boy would remember so well. My uncle lied about his age when he enlisted in the Marine Corps and was only 17 when he was sent to serve at the American Legation at Peiping, China. At that time China could be compared to the American Wild West right after the Civil War, populated with bandits, thieves and soldiers of fortune from all over the world. Matthew’s stories featured many of these people, but he was most impressed with the small group of Horse Marines stationed at the American Legation who patrolled the narrow streets of Peiping and the surrounding countryside on horseback. The Horse Marines’ job was to protect American missionaries and businessmen from the many bands of bandits roving the Chinese countryside. Each District was patrolled weekly, and a census was taken of American citizens residing in and around Peiping. The Mounted Detachment was considered the elite of China Marines. Another thing that influenced my interest in the China Marines was my discovery of the books and art of John W. Thomason. Thomason was a Marine officer who was also an artist and the author of many short stories written about his experiences serving in China during the 1930’s. I was hooked. Many years later I was offered the Marine uniform and a group of Horse Marine items by Lieutenant Colonel Mike Manifor, USMC that belonged to John R. Angstadt, who served with the Mounted Detachment at the American Legation in Peiping during the time of my Uncle Matt’s service in China. Along with the group was a large photo album of over 600 photographs which documented Angstadt’s service in China.

John R. Angstadt was born May 30, 1912 in Steelton, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Cora Martin Blaine and John Angstadt. After graduating from Elizabethtown High School, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, in 1931, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on May 15, 1934, at Baltimore Maryland. After Boot Camp at Paris Island, South Carolina, he was assigned to the American Legation, Peiping China. Angstadt left Norfolk, Virginia, on the USS Chalfont, sailing on September 25, 1934, and arriving at Chinwangtao, China on December 9, 1934. On his arrival at the Legation he was assigned to Company “B” Marine Detachment. Angstadt was later assigned to the Headquarters Detachment, Mounted Detachment on May 16, 1935. Angstadt served the remainder of his time in China with the Mounted Detachment. Angstadt was a member of the Post Tennis Team and played in the Peiping Chronicle Tennis League. One of the duties of the Mounted Detachment was as the Legation Military Police. Angstadt was reassigned to Marine Detachment, Detention Prison, Receiving Station, Naval Operating Base, Norfolk, Virginia, and sailed from Chinwangtao, China on the USS Henderson, October 28, 1937. Angstadt was honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps as a Corporal on January 27, 1941. Angstadt later worked for the Office of Inspector General and retired in 1966. John Robert Angstadt died on August 14, 1989.

post-9487-0-48407400-1500494950_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-60571300-1500494964_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-50391000-1500494972_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-05110400-1500494990_thumb.jpg

Some of the hundreds of photographs in Angstadt's photo album. The first shows the helmet yellow diamond without the EGA worn by the Mounted Detachment.

post-9487-0-86781000-1500495549.jpg

post-9487-0-93711600-1500495556_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-19314200-1500495570_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-42334500-1500495588.jpg

These next items did not belong to Angstadt, They are from the collection of the National Museum of the Marine Corps and LtCol Mike Manifor. They are included in my book China Horse Marine which covers the Mounted Detachment during the 1930's.

post-9487-0-57551900-1500496449_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-76872200-1500496459.jpg

post-9487-0-67853600-1500496467_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-15903000-1500496478.jpg

post-9487-0-95981800-1500496487.jpg

post-9487-0-71126300-1500496496_thumb.jpg

The wife would go crazy over something like this. Horses..horses..horses.. Hard to believe things like this still are floating around..

Chris

Also included in China Horse Marine are drawings and watercolors by Col John W. Thomason who many consider to be the Poet Laureate of the United States Marine Corps. The book includes nineteen drawings and watercolors by Thomason, some of which are published for the first time, courtesy of the Thomason Special Collections, Sam Houston State University, Newton Gresham Library.

John William Thomason, Jr., was born February 28, 1893, in Huntsville, Texas. Thomason attended Southwestern University, Sam Houston Normal Institute, the University of Texas, and the Art Students League in New York. He started his career as a writer and illustrator for the Houston Chronicle at the beginning of World War I. In April 1917, Thomason was appointed a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps. While serving with the 49th Company, First Battalion, 5th Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F., Thomason fought in five major engagements and fourteen battles. During the Battle of Soissons he was awarded both the Navy Cross and the Silver Star for gallantry in action. During the war he would draw whatever he saw around him, and those drawings became the basis for his most popular book Fix Bayonets, published in 1926. After the war Thomason served in Cuba, Nicaragua, China, and on the USS Rochester. While stationed at the American Legation in Peiping, China, Thomason produced most of the drawings reproduced in this book. John Thomason was both a prolific and popular artist and author, having written and illustrated more than sixty stories for such magazines as American Mercury, Scribner's and The Saturday Evening Post. Thomason wrote and illustrated eleven books. Many of the period’s most famous authors were close friends, including Earnest Hemmingway. During World War II Thomason served in the Office of Naval Intelligence and on the staff of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz. Thomason was promoted to Colonel in 1942 and died at San Diego Naval Hospital March 12, 1944. When the train bearing his body crossed into the state of Texas, at El Paso, all official flags in Texas were lowered to half-mast in his honor. Many consider John W. Thomason to be the Poet Laureate of the United States Marine Corps.

post-9487-0-06630400-1500497079.jpg

post-9487-0-52224000-1500497088.jpg

post-9487-0-53375700-1500497100_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-65607500-1500497108_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-71744700-1500497114.jpg

Simply incredible! I love the inscription on the cover of the photo album. That is a man with a presence of mind! Thanks for sharing this priceless group!

-Ski

WOW! What an outstanding & PRICELESS Group. To me, this is something that one can only imagine to be able to view in books. But, to actually have the physical objects and to be able to touch them. That's awesome! My words can't express my thoughts about how awesome the grouping is and how awesome each and every individual piece, photo, etc is.

Congrats on owning a very RARE part of the USMC's history. You are one lucky man!

SF
Chuck

What else can be said besides WOW!!! That is a great time capsule and reference for China Marine collectors. It is cool to see the droop wing EGAs on the collar and the standard WWI - 1920 EGA on the dress cap. Kind of a snapshot for how the Marines made do with what they had.

Thank you for sharing

huntssurplus

Wow! I have never seen anything like this before, very unique grouping following the history of the China Marines, very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Hunt,

aerialbridge

Somehow I forgot to post Angstadt's Medal and badges. Here they are.

You had me wondering for a minute-- Seriously, what an amazing grouping and beautiful presentation (as usual). Thanks for the time and effort to display these. Do you have or know the whereabouts of your Uncle Matt's group?

Dick,

Wow, what an amazing group and to find it as intact! Nicely researched and presented...thank you for posting!

Mike

If you don't own this book, it is a must have for any serious Marine Corps collectors library. Highly recommended,well written beautiful photos and informative. Kevin

aerialbridge

Once again, you deliver. Neat photos of your uncle and it's great that you got to hear some of his tales.