m1 optical gas mask opinions please

bheskett

I just picked this up for $20.00. Did I do OK what are they going for? Rubber is soft and pliable and looks to be dated 1-41.

post-3384-0-87724900-1500477876_thumb.jpg

post-3384-0-91120100-1500477907_thumb.jpg

Jumpin Jack

While not in the best of condition, it is a very difficult gas mask to find. You did very well on the price. If it is not something you will keep, I would be interested. Jack

Thanks for the reply. I may take a cleaning cloth to it, most of the dirt seems to be just that dirt from sitting around. The bag is pretty dirty and may need a soaking. What types of units would have used these? Not sure what I will do with it yet, I will let you know if I decide to part with it.

Bob

That's always a nice find and $20 is worth it, I would have bought it for $20...and it includes the carrier...bonus.

Should clean up nice, just use a damp cloth to get off all the major grim. Then us "Armor All" to clean it a little further and to protect it.

The mask was designed for people who needed to use optical instruments such as range finders, field glasses etc...

The eye piece bridge moves by turning the center bar, allowing the user to adjust to their pupils.

The canister rests on the back of your neck so the hoses do not interfere with the device you are looking through.

These masks only came in the universal size.

If you clean it up, do not breath though it if you put it on. If you must put it on, remove the canister!!!

Thanks for sharing, it made my night.

Dan

• 1 year later...

Then us "Armor All" to clean it a little further and to protect it.

Personally, I would suggest avoiding armor-all. It contains distillates of petroleum, and petroleum products are known to be severely harmful to natural rubber. I know a collector used to use it on his masks and had an MIA2 Service mask that had a perfectly intact and flexible 'flutter' valve completely dry out and break off a few months after using armor-all. Any product that contains oils, acids, solvents or petroleum will damage rubber over time.

The best known product to my discovery to protect rubber is food-grade water-based silicone spray. Silicone is benign to most rubbers, dries on the surface as a smooth, invisble coating, and prevents both blooming from forming on the rubber and curing agents from evaporating from the rubber's mixture over time. I've been using trident brand silicone spray, which is designed for scuba/diving equipement which is exposed to harsh, corrosive environments and I haven't noticed any degrading or dry rot forming on any of my masks in the past few years I've been using it.

Hope I'm not coming off disrespectful, I've just heard and seen a lot of horror stories relating to automotive rubber polishes in relation to gas masks.

Good find at your end. I was able to find that I already had one. Just lost among the other variations that I have. They have to go due to space and time. Jack

Duke,

No disrespect here.

All knowledge is good knowledge...that's why we share.

So far my masks are in great condition...knock on wood...after using Armor All.

But I can't say I use it on all my masks....just the more moderns ones now that I think about it.

A quick search does show that the classic car guys don't care for armor all on their hoses and seals due to long term effects.

You sold me.

Thanks for the info about food grade silicone spray.

I'll have to get some and check it out on the collection.

Thanks

Dan