US Navy Captain 1965 MAAG Taiwan

P-59A

Nice looking group.What is the pocket badge for?

I have no idea. I found them at a swap meet, thought they were interesting and bought them.

firefighter

I have no idea. I found them at a swap meet, thought they were interesting and bought them.

I would have picked them all up. That ID card is very cool. Is that a piece of shrapnel in #8 next to his Capatain boards?

firefighter

USS FRANK E. EVANS (DD 754) ELEVENTH COMMANDING OFFICER

COMMANDER JOSEPH N. BEHAN JR. 23 APRIL 1956 - 26 APRIL 1958

Change of Command took place on 23 April 1956 at the Long Beach Naval Sta- tion, California, Commander John D. Chase was relieved by Commander Joseph N. Be- han JR.Joseph Nicholson Behan JR., was nick named “Jojo, Rosy,Butch-Bitch, and Double-Duff”.“Like the torpedoes (Damn them!) in Dahlgren Hall, Joe came from Newport, Rhode Island. "All Navy" then, even more so as his Navy career grew. The best description of him: “Irish!” in its fullest sense. Academics have never thrown him badly, although he has had a scrape or two (Who has not?). His pet hobbies were lacrosse, books and songs.Commander Behan was born 6 April 1918. He served in WW II and retired as a Rear Ad- miral. At the conclusion of Commander Behan’s tour as Captain of USS Frank E. Evans (DD 754) he was relieved at a ceremony at sea by Com- mander Johns. Change of commends normally did not take place at sea.Commander Behan died on 13 July 1970.

I would have picked them all up. That ID card is very cool. Is that a piece of shrapnel in #8 next to his Capatain boards?

Yes it is, I have no idea of its significance to the group. It was apart of the group so it stayed with the group.

USS FRANK E. EVANS (DD 754) ELEVENTH COMMANDING OFFICER

COMMANDER JOSEPH N. BEHAN JR. 23 APRIL 1956 - 26 APRIL 1958

Change of Command took place on 23 April 1956 at the Long Beach Naval Sta- tion, California, Commander John D. Chase was relieved by Commander Joseph N. Be- han JR.Joseph Nicholson Behan JR., was nick named “Jojo, Rosy,Butch-Bitch, and Double-Duff”.“Like the torpedoes (Damn them!) in Dahlgren Hall, Joe came from Newport, Rhode Island. "All Navy" then, even more so as his Navy career grew. The best description of him: “Irish!” in its fullest sense. Academics have never thrown him badly, although he has had a scrape or two (Who has not?). His pet hobbies were lacrosse, books and songs.Commander Behan was born 6 April 1918. He served in WW II and retired as a Rear Ad- miral. At the conclusion of Commander Behan’s tour as Captain of USS Frank E. Evans (DD 754) he was relieved at a ceremony at sea by Com- mander Johns. Change of commends normally did not take place at sea.Commander Behan died on 13 July 1970.

That is quite a bit of information! What was his function in Taiwan? I know that card addressed to his wife was for a social with Chiang Kai-shek or his wife (So I have been told).

At the top(Arc), it says:
Army officier school 40th anniversary
Then below, it says:
Headmaster Army Major-General XX(ie his name) dedicates
Then below, it says:
Republic of China Year 53 , 16 th of June .
Then below is the serial no. 0216

This is a translation.

post-169522-0-17952000-1501034695_thumb.jpg

The piece of "shrapnel" may or may not be shrapnel at all. It kind of looks like a piece of a gear, kind of like one of the broken gear pieces I have at work (I like keeping souvenirs of broken things!) Of course, it could be shrapnel, but at the same time, it could be a souvenir of a broken gear on one of the Captain's ships at one point in his career...

And if no one has noted it yet, the Evans had quite an infamous ending, sadly...

FullSizeRender.jpg