AMICO marked Glider Trooper Wing?

I saw this yesterday at an insignia show in San Jose yesterday. I've been collecting variations of both paratrooper wings and glider trooper wings for 30 plus years now. I have never encountered an AMICO hallmarked glider trooper wing before. So I was very suspicious and used a jewelers loupe to examine it very carefully. It does not look like a casting. Someone scratched a shallow gouge out of the back edge to reveal a silver coating maybe nickle over what looks like brass. My guess is someone was testing the piece to see if it was sterling. You can see in two spots on the back where that green verdigris has come through the nickle plating which could indicate some age to this badge. The hallmark is really tiny for this size badge. The pin back is one of those that will only open up to almost 90 degrees. I don't know what to make of the way the star is attached as there is some sort of fixed hexagonal nut which does not rotate. I wasn't sure thinking possibly a post war piece but I just couldn't walk away and bought it. It came out of a large collection in Southern California where a 72 year old collector is liquidating his entire collection. The seller had a number of original paratrooper wings for sale from this collection of which the only ones I remember were hallmarked LGB and Sendai Japan.

I was wondering what others thought about this piece and if anyone has ever come across an AMICO hallmarked glider trooper wing?

post-1389-0-84781200-1500311114_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-02575000-1500311133_thumb.jpg

Close up of hallmark, hexagonal nut and the shallow gouge showing the base metal underneath the nickle plating.

post-1389-0-79161100-1500311314_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-73668500-1500311339_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-89472600-1500311385.jpg

What a interesting star device, anyone seen these before, usually they are just the standard ribbon device with prongs right!

Glidertrooper

I have an AMICO glider wing in my small collection of wings, which I purchased from a reputable dealer last year and who stated he had only ever encountered two. Don't have it to hand right now, but it is the same as the one pictured in HIOM V1. It has the same arched AMICO hallmark over the Sterling mark as you can see on the jump wing pictured, which is also from my collection.

Soon as I can I'll post a pic.

As for your glider wing, it has the same front as mine, with the area between the glider struts smooth, instead of 'pebbly' like on most glider wings. But the back of mine is flat and not scooped out on the back of the glider like that one and the finish of the reverse is a sort of 'frosted' silvering.

The pin clasp on yours appears to be what some on the forum would describe as an early war type, as apposed to the supposedly later 'egg' shaped clasp that's on mine - same as on my AMICO jump wings. Same heavy weight pin as yours though.

Figure yours may be an early war variation??

post-166956-0-89685500-1500337427_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information concerning your glider trooper wing which I have never come across before with the arched AMICO above the horizontal STERLING hallmark. That has got to be one scarce glider trooper wing. Regarding the AMICO paratrooper wing there were two earlier period wings made from a different die using a hallmark like your wing and a more stylized hallmark using what I think was their company shield. The pin back is also different from your wing utilizing the 90 degree only opening style.

post-1389-0-95133900-1500345202_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-17726300-1500345219_thumb.jpg

Glidertrooper

Images as promised of my AMICO glider wing, judging by the condition I doubt it was ever issued, but the front certainly has the patina of its age.

I'd love to add one of those early hallmark AMICO jump wings to the collection :P

post-166956-0-95505600-1500736339_thumb.jpg

post-166956-0-40739100-1500736350_thumb.jpg

Hubba - Hubba! That's one scarce and beautiful Glider qualification badge!

Thank you Glidertrooper for taking the time and effort to post your fine example!

Wow that is one rare wing as I have never come across one in all the years I have been searching for different variations for my collection. Thanks for posting these photos.

MyAmico marked glider badge looks EXACTLY like the one offered by Glidertrooper. I can't say that I have ever encountered a glider badge with the dished reverse. I'm not saying they are bad, but I've never seen the straight lettered Amico hallmark on a parachute or glider badge.

Allan