WWII Army cook's white uniform?

OD-Blue-Top

OD-Blue-Top

I've had this uniform in my collection for a number of years, but don't know much about when the army started using it. I found a photo on the internet taken sometime between 1945 and 1947 showing a group of solders wearing this same type. This uniform has WWII period chevrons and SSI sewn on the sleeves. Both the jacket and pants have the same laundry markings to the same soldier. I like this seldom seen uniform and consider it a tribute to the hardworking G.I.'s who seldom get any credit for their valuable service. Any info on this uniform will be appreciated.

Thanks, James

post-5916-0-00569100-1500243318_thumb.jpg

post-5916-0-63281700-1500243337_thumb.jpg

post-5916-0-35564300-1500243361_thumb.jpg

Interesting, stateside worn? Does that photo you seen have patches being worn too? Can you post photo if there are?

OD-Blue-Top

I hope i'm not out of line by using this photo. I found it on the internet, with a group of photos, in a memorial post honoring a WWII Veteran, Vernon M. Rathman from Sandy, Oregon. I believe Mr. Rathman is the man standing on the second row behind the man in the sailer cap. His jacket appears to have a breast pocket, but the other men in whites seem to be wearing jackets like the one in my post. Mr. Rathman served in the Merchant Marines in WWII and was drafted into the army in 1945-1946, according to his memorial page. As you can see this photo is dated 1947. I see no rank or SSI on any of these whites.

post-5916-0-43843000-1500261967_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the foto. I'm imagining your Whites are OK, WWII, the patches? Don't really think overall that any insignia was commonly worn on these, so perhaps as mentioned, worn stateside?

In the 60s they could, as well as today.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54268-cook-white-drill-herringbone-shirt/

Photo from the Patches in Action topic.

post-1761-0-38423000-1385659421.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have the same exact cook whites, minus the patches. I believe they are from ww2 as I saw a wartime photo on eBay years ago of two Army Cooks wearing the same exact uniforms standing outside the Schofield Barracks in Hawaii 

I didn't think they wore patches on those but that's just my own conjecture. They sure look comfortable though - like pajamas.

3 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

I'll share  this photo.  2nd armored in Europe c.1950

img263.jpg

If it's 1950 then taken at Fort Hood Texas, the terrain looks like it too, 2nd Amd Div goes to Germany something like March 1951.

A bit off topic, but I remember an E-7 who had a thing about unserviceable bdu’s. There was a point when they became so faded and worn, they were unserviceable.  I never knew what that line was, but this Sgt. sure did.  He called them “cook whites” and wo unto any soldier who crossed his path wearing a pair.  Great photos of the 2nd AD Mess hall crew.

Rob

4 hours ago, patches said:

If it's 1950 then taken at Fort Hood Texas, the terrain looks like it too, 2nd Amd Div goes to Germany something like March 1951.

Make that July 1951 the division gets to Germany.

Member however PMed me with further photos, and that he just thought the date was 1950, but as it tuns out it will be in Germany in 1951, probably I should think in like September at a big maneuver area. maybe Graf.