Compass question

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

Found this compass on my late FIL's work bench. Have found mixed information googling so I figured it was time to ask the experts so here I am again.

Seems odd to me to have no manufacture date, but appears to US military. He and his brothers were all in WW2 but my research indicates this may have been earlier. Any information is much appreciated.

post-167837-0-09302700-1500241607_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This one is a Longines Wittnauer and is US issue in both World Wars. They often come in a small white sack with a pull string. I have two in my family collection. One is WWI from my grandfather, a Doughboy in France, and the other is from his son (my uncle) a USAAF 1st Lieutenant.

prestoncohunter

Is there any way to come up with an appx date of manufacture.

Thank you for the great information. Though I won't be selling any idea of value, and would it be worth while to have the crystal replaced.

These things are very common, the cost of replacing the crystal you could buy a functional one. Unless it has some sentimental value of course.

The bigger question is when did they stop manufacturing them? I'm just thinking backwards. We know they date back to WWI and into WWII. They were an engineer compass first and for the principle, the USAAC and then USAAF adopted the pattern for emegency sustenance kits. They were procured in great numbers by the USAAF but could not find any additional procurements after 1943. Possibly manufacturing extended into 1944 completing existing contracts. By 1944 the USAAF had no further requirement for them being superseded by other types in all updated and new specifications for equipment, though they did stay in service and in stock. There is a long list of specific details of its replacement with many facets you have to evelauate. Same for the Corps of Engineers, it to was replaced by the liquid wrist compass and prismatic compasses. It had a very long service life spanning nearly four decades but passed on during the war by superior types. Your compass has a distinct feature of having a luminous material on each end of the dial and the four directions of N,S,E, and W. This application did not begin to being applied until 1943, an application requested by the USAAF. Prior to 1943 the USAAF referenced them by manufacture and manufacture part number, the change with the luminous material was detailed under assigned USAAF specification.