c.1887 Gold Bullion 1st Sergeant Chevrons ? Late Indian Wars

Sgt. Stubby

Sgt. Stubby

I picked a nice late Indian Wars jacket in June and have spent a month trying to figure it out.

I need just a little help confirming the date on the gold bullion chevrons. It looks like very labor intensive gold bullion lace appliqué.

Anybody familiar with this style? Any expert knowledge will be very much appreciated!

My research has led me to believe it's:

1. 1st Sergeant of Infantry Chevrons - 3 bars and a lozenge

2. an early expensively-made version of the M1884 Gold Bullion Lace Dress Chevron

3. Peacetime markings (no branch color piping)

My real interest now is dating the chevrons and therefore the jacket. And being knowledgeable and conversant about all components. I havent seen many examples of original 1880s gold chevrons - and most of those I have seem of a much more mechanized and simpler manufacturing style. I know the coat itself was purchased after 1886.

So - is it safe to say THIS IS AN EARLY VERSION of the M1884 Gold Bullion Chevron, and the coat dates to 1886 - 1889? Any chance these chevrons being later?

Thanks for looking!

- Comstock

post-169556-0-75711900-1500103860_thumb.jpg

Sgt. Stubby

Heres the Quartermasters Report showing Gold Bullion Braids ADOPTED JANUARY 1885.

And from the same report the COST of these expensive items!

At $3.50 a pair these cost more than an ordinary undress coat ($3.18)

post-169556-0-01194300-1500105660_thumb.jpg

Sgt. Stubby

Douglas McChristian discusses pushing through the new dress chevrons, and the costs involved.

Also - his is the only reference Ive found discussing SQUARE lozenge (diamond shape) in late Indian Wars chevron instead of oblong.

(Sample copied from the excellent book UNIFORMS, ARMS and EQUIPMENT The US Army on the Western Frontier 1880-1892 by Douglas C. McCristian for educational and review purposes.)

post-169556-0-29757500-1500108167_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think you're probably looking at privately purchased/made chevrons for the coat, so it is not unreasonable to think they were made around the time of the coat or a little later. I have come across a few nice handmade variants of even the NCO ranks, so they're out there. Nice find.