WWI map conservation question

bheskett

I have about a dozen large maps from WWI. Many have handwritten notes regarding troop locations both American and German. I was hoping to get them linen backed or another form of conservation to protect them. I have a couple question though.

1) is there a reputable place that does this?

2) Are they worth the financial outlay? If they are worth fifty dollars and conservation costs one hundred it may not be a good idea.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Rakkasan187

Bob,

You can do the preservation yourself really.. If you go to a local hobby shop such as Hobby Lobby you can get archival safe newspaper size folders and acid free cardboard. You can also get Mylar sheets to cover the maps. Now if you wish to have them framed, then talk to the framing department and ask them specifically about archival preservation of the artifacts. They (Hobby Lobby) usually only use archival mounting boards and techniques..

There are also some companies that have the archival folders for large size documents and maps.. Gaylord Archival and University Products are two of the companies that the museum I work at uses.. These are pricey though so just beware of that..

Leigh