• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

The present day Coast Guard has a number of qualification insignia worn on the dress and service dress uniforms.  The CG had generally followed the USN uniform regulations concerning sewn on distinguishing marks since the 1930s. By 1970 the USN was shifting to the use of pin on insignia to indicate qualifications.  Some information points to the coming change to the style of the USN uniforms in the early 1970s and that the use of sew on distinguishing marks would not be appropriate to the CPO style of uniform.

The CG was also going to be forced into a unifoum change with the loss of supply from the USN.  During the early 1970s and onward, the CG created a number of qualification insignia.

First of the CG insignia was the Boat Coxswain Insignia,,

Attached Images

• Coxn original.png

#2 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

The Coast Guard CUTTERMAN insignia, 1975...

End of 1974 the USN announced the creation of an insignia for the Surface Warfare Officer.  At the start of 1975 the Coast Guard created the CUTTERMAN insignia.  The original requirement was the completion of 5 years sea time and being Station Bill qualified aboard the cutter...  Temporary wear was authorized after 6 month aboard the cutter and being watch qualified.  You did not wear the insignia as a permanent uniform item until completion of the 5 year total sea duty time...  Originally, enlisted wore the pewter insignia and shifted to the gold tone when promoted to officer or warrant officer.  Currently there are specific enlisted and officer qualification requirements

Originally the insignia was simply an indication of sea time. Since the late 1980s it has become more of a qualification insignia with a sea time requirement attached.

Attached Images

• CUTTERMAN 75.png

#3 Leatherwringer

Leatherwringer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,664
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

My Dad was authorized to wear the Permanent Enlisted Cuttermans Insignia in 1975, I would assume the first available. It is recorded on his DD214 from late 1975. I started collecting the USCG Cutterman insignia years back and started with a few pieces bought on the bay. When my Dad gave me his uniform, I got to check out his Cutterman insignia and realized it was also 1/20 silver filled. All of the new ones are not silver. I have seen a USCG uniform from 1978 that had the Cuttermans insignia and the gentleman said it was the original one, and it was not silver. I think that the silver filled Cuttermans insignia are fairly rare as they seem to have been made for only a few years. This is my USCG Cuttermans insignia collection now - all are silver filled!!

I contacted the Cuttermans Association a few years ago and tried to start doing a little detective work on the piece, if they knew when exactly the switch was made from silver to pot metal (my words, don't know what the newer ones are made out of). They had no idea there were any silver insignia and had no other information. If any USCG gurus are out there, I would be interested to find out more of the early history. My Dad had years of sea time by 1975 and he said the CO of the ship he was on let the guys know about the new insignia in early '75.

cutterman2.jpg

dad1.jpg

#4 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

Found a 1978 copy of the government specs for the Cutterman and Coxswain insignia. The material specification was 1/20 silver on the front. By the 1980s the revision called for a platedred brass or nickel silver with the pewter antique finish.

#5 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

The Coast Guard Flight Surgeon is a bit of a delimma.  The Coast Guard does not have medical officers, but rather commissioned officers of the U.S. Public Health Service are assigned to the Coast Guard to provide medical service. Each Coast Guard Air Station has a couple of Flight Surgeons assigned.  They receive the specialized training from one of the DoD services and then attend a CG aviation indoctrination program..   A revision to the 1981 specification sheet is dated 1989.  No image of the 1981 spec sheet has been located.. would guess that this CG specific aviation insignia has a limited production..

Attached Images

• CG  Flt Surg..png

#6 m1ashooter

m1ashooter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,672
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

Thank you for this wonderful post.  I'm a very proud dad of a 19 year old USCG BM3.

#7 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

This one has had a change in designation from a service BADGE to an INSIGNIA.  The CG Honor Guard in Washington, DC

Attached Images

• Honor Guard.png

#8 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

On to the 1990s..  Revised Coast Guard Uniform regulations were published in 1997 but did not include these insignia.  They would have been established either just before or just after publication. Other sources indicate mid to late 1990s.   The SURFMAN qualification was added to the Boat Crew Qualification program in the early 1980s. The insignia was added in the 1990s...

Attached Images

• Company Cdr.png

#9 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

The new century, the 200s, and the last round up for CG specific insignia.

The Marine Safety Progam recieved a qualification insignia for those personnel employed in commercial vessel inspection and investigations and those involved in the pollution prevention field.

The CG Rescue Swimmer received its own specific wing insignia.  The Aviation Survival Technician rating was tasked with being the CG rescue swimmers. From what I gather, many in the CG aviation field felt that rating should have its own specific senior qualification insignia.

The Tactical Law Enforcement field has grown since the CG was shifted to Homeland Security Department.  By 2011 all members of that field wear the original TacLET insignia..

It remains to be seen what the future may hold in the realm of Coast Guard specific insignia.

The US Navy insignia that the CG uses are not included in this rundown..

End of this thread..

Attached Images

• Marine Safety pin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users