Convincing reproduction of WWII document

mmerc20

Thanks to a fellow forum member, I was able to track down some vintage blank paper from WWII. Our Museum wants to put some copies of general orders announcing the activation of 78th infantry here 75 years ago but all we have our digital copies.

After some Photoshop work removing the background color of the paper on general order number one, I printed it on my inkjet with the paper we got and aged and distressed it a little ( yellowed the paper, roughened up the edges, etc). I am very happy with the result and think it will be a nice, convincing display for us.

The one photo attached shows the paper before with the same paper yellowed and aged.

Mike

post-3373-0-13839600-1499856843_thumb.jpg

post-3373-0-88541000-1499856866.jpg

Sgt. Stubby

Great looking reproduction and good illustration for a museum display. It probably should be labeled in the display something like "GENERAL ORDERS 1942 (reproduction)".

Choosing vintage paper makes for a convincing artifact, and hopefully in the future no one will confuse the inkjet printing as the real deal. However, 20 or 50 years from now that mistake could be made. The ultimate "reproduction" would be taking your vintage paper and retyping it on a vintage Underwood Standard typewriter. Not only would that be a great reproduction, but a dandy counterfeit item too. (I believe) the proper thing to do is plainly date the back and add the word "reproduction" in ink.

Excellent craftsmanship! Best of luck with the museum.

- Comstock

You're right. I never actually thought about marking it assuming it would not leave our hands but in the event I am no longer working with the museum someone else will need to know the origin of the paper.

Brian Keith

Very Nice! I did the same type of thing for a tribute exhibit I did for the 138th RTI at Camp Atterbury. I downloaded the documents, then printed them out on old paper. I even two hole punched it. I then dry mounted it to display better. Nothing in the exhibit was "real" as far as original WW II Era to the veteran, but looks really good to 95% of the people seeing it. The labeling clearly indicated it was a "Tribute" exhibit, not original artifacts. I do not like it when exhibits in museums are not honest with their exhibits. If it is a reproduction or not actually made in the era it represents, just put the info in the label.

BKW