USN or USAF Seagull What Squadron

Bearmon

The plane looks like a PBJ 1 (although it might be a B 25 Mitchell)

I cannot find anything on it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

post-582-0-31093600-1499830114.jpg

Johnny Signor

I'v seen this one on several sites and all were ?????? I would venture a weather/ weather test type with the cloud and lightning .............post 47 due to the star and bar having the red line shown ......

ocsfollowme

I tried yesterday and today without any luck.

Interesting that the seagull has a pipe in it's mouth, like it is kicking back and relaxing.

I tried yesterday and today without any luck.

Interesting that the seagull has a pipe in it's mouth, like it is kicking back and relaxing.

I have been searching on and off for a few days, thanks for the assist. It looks more like a pelican to me than a Seagull

Patchcollector

It's a Seagull,and it looks like he may be wearing headphones.There is also something black underneath the wing,perhaps some sort of instrument pod.Seagull could stand for an Op,or for an instrument package.

ocsfollowme

May something to do with the 102nd Intelligence Wing? Their name is Seagull.

it goes with the headphones (I didn't notice that!) that patchcollector stated.

The 102nd did come up a few times in the search, couldn't tie them to a B24 though,,,

I figured the "pod" was the engine if it is indeed a B25, i didn't make out the headphones either.

And yeah I know it's a Seagull especially since it says Seagull on the patch.

ocsfollowme

If AF, then TB-25J-25-NC Mitchell, 44-30854, the last B-25 in the USAF inventory, assigned at March AFB, California as of March 1960,[20] was flown to Eglin AFB, Florida, from Turner Air Force Base, Georgia, on 21 May 1960, the last flight by a USAF B-25, and presented by Brigadier General A. J. Russell, Commander of SAC's 822d Air Division at Turner AFB, to the Air Proving Ground Center Commander, Brigadier General Robert H. Warren, who in turn presented the bomber to Valparaiso, Florida Mayor Randall Roberts on behalf of the Niceville-Valparaiso Chamber of Commerce.

• 4 years later...

For what it's worth, "Seagull" is also the term applied to someone in a squadron who avoids flying as frequently as the others in the unit. "He's like a seagull - doesn't fly unless you throw a rock at him". It can also be used to describe larger numbers: "The whole squadron is like a flock of seagulls - gotta throw a rock at them to make them fly". Perhaps this patch was related to a squadron that acknowledged they didn't do much flying (?). The depicted blue sky transitioning to rotten weather could indicate an instrument training squadron as well.

• 2 months later...
Salvage Sailor
On 7/11/2017 at 5:28 PM, Bearmon said:

The plane looks like a PBJ 1 (although it might be a B 25 Mitchell)

I cannot find anything on it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

post-582-0-31093600-1499830114.jpg

...a random USMF find with a seagull, maybe yes, maybe no

953813075_usafseagull01.jpg.a27915370c3a910e4e48800177d6cf8f.jpg

76th Air Rescue Squadron, Hickam AFB - Samaritans of the Sky

1747712855_usafseagull02.jpg.828afb766803e995b17cc91f24197ab0.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 8/28/2021 at 8:50 PM, Steindaddie said:

For what it's worth, "Seagull" is also the term applied to someone in a squadron who avoids flying as frequently as the others in the unit. "He's like a seagull - doesn't fly unless you throw a rock at him". It can also be used to describe larger numbers: "The whole squadron is like a flock of seagulls - gotta throw a rock at them to make them fly". Perhaps this patch was related to a squadron that acknowledged they didn't do much flying (?). The depicted blue sky transitioning to rotten weather could indicate an instrument training squadron as well.

Interesting twist - Seagulls would also hitch rides on our tows from Hawaii to Guam and points East, crapping all the way on our decks.