MILPAR M6 for review please

MattS

I have been looking for a M6 and ended up getting this one for $20. It hasn't arrived yet, but wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!

post-32676-0-08413700-1499169446_thumb.jpgpost-32676-0-77472000-1499169456_thumb.jpg

post-32676-0-87636300-1499169476_thumb.jpg

post-32676-0-48425200-1499169489_thumb.jpg

First off, for $20 you can't go wrong. This Milpar looks good to me. The fact that is does not seem to have a DAS mark ,that I can see, does not rule it out as being a US contract bayonet. Especially if it is a later 1960s version, which this might be. The DAS was being phased out during the sixties. The other thing is the back cut of the blade. It is not a sharp 90°, but one side qualifies as a near 90°. I would tend to think this M6 is legit. Newly made M5A1 bayonets were sent all over the world to aid countries who had millions of M1 rifles and tended to have curved back cuts on the blades. I doubt (but I could be wrong) that many M6 bayonets were manufactured specifically for aid programs, simply because there were not the numbers of M14s in other countries to warrant it. I would say your bayonet is US issue, even if it doesn't conform to all the specs.

As always, please correct me if you have better information.

Marv

Does it have a DAS mark?

I will check closer when I get it in hand, but I don't think it does. It could be a late 1960s contract piece. Thanks for the comments!

MattS- Marv is right! For $20 you got a fantastic buy for what appears to be a mint, Mil Par M6. If it has the DAS, that's a plus, but not a detractor if it doesn't. Thanks for showing. SKIP

The only thing I'd say different from what's been said already, is when you get them you should take the grips off and examine how they look underneath. Recently I'm seeing bayonets coming in that at first glance look good from the outside.

The prices are typically lower than market from what they appear to be. Much lower.

The part that really bothers me is that the guard markings, at least from the pictures, seem like what I'd expect to see.

I don't know yet, but I'm worried that our hobby has just gotten a little more complicated.

Thanks for that! What should I be looking for under the grips? Can someone post photos of a textbook example with grips removed for reference?

I'm still a bit confused by M5 and M6 reproductions, but I know they are out there. The WW2 US (especially the various Garand ones) and German Mauser bayonets are widely reproduced due to the large number of WW2 re-enactors and the subsequent demand for them since SPR and BoB. But what is the market for repro M5s and M6s? There is virtually no one that I am aware of re-enacting the Cold War era from 1954 to 1965, and it seems that there are still enough original M5s out there for guys who want a late 50s Garand bayonet. Any thoughts appreciated!

MattS- The German Company "Eickhorn", and "K", Korean, Kiffe of Japan, and Danish, or Dutch manufacturers. All these companies made M5s, and some M6s, along with copies of other US bayonets ie plastic handled M4s etc. They are out there. SKIP

I knew about most of those (I have a few Kiffe knives), but those are clearly marked as to where they are manufactured, aren't they? I wouldn't consider a Korean made M5 a reproduction as they were made for their army's use and not to sell to collectors.

It's just reached the point a collector has to be very careful, study, and research, plus refresh his knowledge on occasion. It is getting tougher, and prices are insane on some items, just check out ebay. SKIP

Thanks Skip! I think all militaria collecting has gone that way, you have to be very careful. I just can't figure out why M5s would be reproduced (as in made with US markings to fool collectors) when there are so many unwanted ones out there.

Correct Government issue grips on the left and the after market Eickhorn on the right. Notice the threaded inserts molded into the handle. Also the Eickhorn grips won't fit a genuine G.I. M5 or M6.

post-17422-0-98406700-1499211251_thumb.jpg

I agree with Matt that it seems like a very limited potential market for bayonets from this era. I have put my hands on a very poor quality M6 bayonet imported in at a local surplus store. It was marked "AN" to boot. Stuff as crude as that I'm not too worried about, although I understand people with just enough information to be dangerous, (to themselves), could be in trouble.

Thanks for that! US bayonets should have the "D" bracket holding the guard in place and not a spot weld, correct?

P-40Warhawk

Now I am going to have to check mine; bought at a surplus store, so who knows what I ended up with, real or repro.

P-40Warhawk

I can't get the grip panels to separate on mine, but I can tell you the screws are different than the ones on mine. Mine has all thread and yours is straight shank with thread only at the bottom. Hmm. Hopefully someone will know what that means.