NRL USN Flight Helmet

hink441

Here is my latest pick-up. This is a Naval Research Laboratory Flight Support Detachment flight helmet. I got this one on eBay and was thrilled to get it.

post-10825-0-85659900-1498846726_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-51957200-1498846855_thumb.jpeg

Very Groovy Hink

Thanks SS!!

I think there is not many of these helmets around. Small size detachment only 3-5 aircraft out of Pax River.

Chris

Another picture of the NP-3D aircraft, and left side of helmet.

This detachment is now decommissioned and was replaced with a new squadron VXS-1.

post-10825-0-41719600-1498849432_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-28136200-1498849463_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the comments.

This helmet does not have the O2 mask receivers installed. I have seen some P-3 aircraft used helmets that did have the fittings installed. Also I believe the P-3 aircrews only wore their helmets on launch and recoveries. Anybody know for certain?

Forgot to mention this helmet has two names. "Tamilio" on the interior liner, and "Campbell" on the exterior shell.

Chris

horridohutch

Nice helmet I remember seeing this one... it also make s sense that they would wear them on takeoff and landing.

Nice helmet I remember seeing this one... it also make s sense that they would wear them on takeoff and landing.

I was initially outbid on the first auction and I had two bidders higher than me. The original buyer must have been a non-payer for whatever reason. So when the seller relisted the helmet I told the seller my original offer was still on the table. I was lucky and the seller took my original offer.

Chris