SS Henry Bacon Merchant Marine grouping

senhoragua

After years of trying to make sense of a medal grouping, I came across an oral interview at the Smithsonian by a fellow named “Spud” Campbell. Soon thereafter, all the clues fell into place.

Little did I know, but one of the first Second World War groups of Merchant Marine decorations I had was something from the survivor of the sinking of the SS Henry Bacon!

Here's the grouping itself:
victory-norwar.JPG
A common MM Victory Medal:
IMG_7907.JPG

The Norway War Medal:
IMG_7906.JPG
I did a little write up about my sleuthing and gathered up various references on the SS Henry Bacon along with larger images here:

• 5 months later...

Very interesting group. Thanks for posting.

Dick

Many thanks. I was in the American Merchant Marine Museum the other day and saw a plaque from the Norwegian Navy thanking the U.S. Merchant Marine its efforts during WWII. That was pretty neat - they still remember.

Great History, thanks for posting this, loved reading about the events. MM items are not very common to find, but are a real part of the conflict!

BKW

• 7 months later...
SemperParatus

It was my honor to be present some years ago when the Russian government held several gatherings in Washington DC at their Embassy and at other locations to present their 40th Anniversary of Victory in The Great Patriotic War medal to members of the US Merchant Marine and the US Naval Armed Guard who had made the various convoy runs to North Russia during the war. Among those honored were several survivors of the HENRY BACON including the ships senior radio operator "Spud" Campbell. Also present was Robert Tatosky who was given a place in one of the lifeboats by the Chief Engineer and survived, The Chief went down with the ship.