M2A2 Gas Mask Shipping Crate

MasonK

Found this being used at a local shop as a display table. Shipping crate/container for the M2A2 gas mask, manufactured by Firestone.

I assume the crate would date anywhere from 1943-1944. It's in fairly good shape, minus a chip taken out of the front.

Haven't been able to find another example in online searches; was curious if another collector has stumbled upon one.

Gas mask in photo was not found with the crate.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

post-29885-0-77672600-1498744854_thumb.jpg

Top view - There is a label. I researched the name (George R Lyons of Philadelphia), however found he was born in 1935. Unable to confirm military service, so thinking he just used it to ship some goods. Did find he visited France in the 50's, so possible he found it there and had it shipped home to Philly.

post-29885-0-19675200-1498745241_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

looks like it will display nice...great markings and condition...and utilitarian...old crates are bulky as heck...but the nice rare ones , like this...are great to have...

for some reason... I see a waterproof insulated liner inserted filled with ice and Leinenkugel's ....

looks like it will display nice...great markings and condition...and utilitarian...old crates are bulky as heck...but the nice rare ones , like this...are great to have...

for some reason... I see a waterproof insulated liner inserted filled with ice and Leinenkugel's ....

Thanks, Pahntomfixer! I agree that is utilitarian. Have to figure out how to work it into the display as it is quite bulky.

Hoegaarden or Yards would look better in there, though! But I do like your style! B)

RustyCanteen

Great find! The lid looks like it was added later in life to make it useful again. Any markings on the bottom?

Great find! The lid looks like it was added later in life to make it useful again. Any markings on the bottom?

Thanks, RC. Your absolutely right, concerning the lid. I'm guessing this was done when used to ship to George Lyons.

No markings on the bottom.

:love:

That is lovely.

Glad you saved it from it's mundane task.

Now you can display it properly...and if you can't I would be glad to display it properly for you. :D

You are correct, these are not easy to find as they were always destroyed and re-purposed.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

RustyCanteen

Regarding rarity, it is kind of odd too since so many sealed cans were on the market 15 years ago. I never heard much talk of any crates at the time?

It really is a great example.

RC

:love:

That is lovely.

Glad you saved it from it's mundane task.

Now you can display it properly...and if you can't I would be glad to display it properly for you. :D

You are correct, these are not easy to find as they were always destroyed and re-purposed.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I'll be sure to make good use of it!

I figured the crates were repurposed, but thought I would be able to find another example online. Maybe there's one in the photo below... :D

In all seriousness, would be interesting to see a period photo of gas masks being removed from a similar crate to be issued.

post-29885-0-29001000-1498830977.jpg

Regarding rarity, it is kind of odd too since so many sealed cans were on the market 15 years ago. I never heard much talk of any crates at the time?

It really is a great example.

RC

Thanks again, RC. I had another collector mention picking up an unissued example in it's issue box. You mentioned cans. I assume they came in both? Was able to find reference to the style box at the site below, which actually refers back to USMF for the photo:

http://www.usarmydatadepot.com/c.w.s.___mask_gas_type_service_5604.htm

post-29885-0-46302000-1498831348.jpg

Hi Eric - that really is an amazing box, I can't recall ever seeing a gas mask shipping crate before. As for repurposing crates, company supply rooms do that all the time. You can imagine that crate sitting on the shelf with a stencil saying wool gloves or chemlights. Can you provide the internal dimensions of the crate? A friend of mine has a supply room display he puts together and that crate would be great for display as well as hauling the stuff he has.

Peter

phantomfixer

Hi Eric - that really is an amazing box, I can't recall ever seeing a gas mask shipping crate before. As for repurposing crates, company supply rooms do that all the time. You can imagine that crate sitting on the shelf with a stencil saying wool gloves or chemlights. Can you provide the internal dimensions of the crate? A friend of mine has a supply room display he puts together and that crate would be great for display as well as hauling the stuff he has.

Peter

I just picked up a wood tool box...re purposed from a military crate...guy swore the tool box was USGI because of the OD paint and military stencils INSIDE the box..

Peter

Thanks, Peter!
Internal dimensions are as follows:
25 13/16" L
post-29885-0-68916100-1499381158_thumb.jpg
14 13/16" W

post-29885-0-43992900-1499381169_thumb.jpg

20 1/4" H

post-29885-0-77850800-1499381178_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you need any additional info.

I just picked up a wood tool box...re purposed from a military crate...guy swore the tool box was USGI because of the OD paint and military stencils INSIDE the box..

They of course marked it on the inside because it's Top Secret :rolleyes: