fuse questions on WW1 6" Newton mortar

illinigander

illinigander

Does anyone know the correct fuse for the 6" Newton US mortar? Has anyone seen one? Are the shipping plugs and fuse adaptors round or hexaganal on their circumfence? I have such a mortar and several projectiles which have a 2 1/2"-8 SAE threaded hole where the above fit. I would like to improve my display. Thanks

Illinigander

Here's a 6" Newton round in case anyone is wondering what one looks like. Mine's missing the fuse.

MVC-038S.JPG

MVC-039S.JPG

illinigander

Thank you Salvage Sailor & Robinb for the response. My Newton is the American version which we improved with a better suspension system (turn-buckles and clevis arrangement). I can tell you one wrong turn on a turn-buckle and you have a 160 pound tube in your lap. The Americans had about 50 of them in France by Nov. 1918. They were to be used to destroy barbed wire. I have seen photos of doughboys serving a Brit. Newton, but have never found an account about a US piece. The pictured round has the remains of the correct black & yellow paint scheme. The fuse drawings say it used a pattern XVII fuse, but what are the dimensions and did we use a British pattern fuse? SAE or Whitworth?

Thanks, Illinigander