J.C. Johnson & Co. Canteen, Original

Picked up this smooth side canteen recently that I believe is an original CW issue. Overall decent shape, missing cork but chain and holder still present. Strap is unfortunately torn. Cover is in good shape, no holes, an canteen has minor denting on sides. Spout is marked JC Johnson &Co. with no date.

Thoughts?

post-3453-0-97779100-1498686996_thumb.jpeg

post-3453-0-97779100-1498686996_thumb.jpeg

Middle wording on the strap is "U.S. Inspector" and the line above it would be the Inspector's name, usually a first initial, second initial, then last name. Nice canteen by the way. There's also most likely a date underneath "JC Johnson&Co", although it might be hard to determine. It might be Feb 5, 65.

I would guess it's Civil War vintage. Do you know when that maker was in business? A great piece of history in any event.

No date, I expected to see one. Doesn't look like a light strike since the rest so deeply stamped. Possibly a different contract?

M24 Chaffee

Great CW canteen! Not easy to find with the cover and strap! I'm in no way an expert on these but I've seen photos and read some info on canteens from this maker. As was mentioned they did have a late contract and although still rare you do find this makers canteens complete and unissued. Or maybe issued very late and only slightly used? The knot in the strap was usually done by someone that used the canteen. Maybe used postwar? I don't have one but there are books about CW canteens with more info about makers and contracts. I'm sure you'll get more info from more knowledgeable members. Issued or not I think it's a great example!

Frank

Suggested book: https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Militia-Canteens-1775-1910/dp/0967073170

U.S. Army & Militia Canteens 1775-1910 by Mike O'Donnell. This is the long awaited, third edition of Mike O'Donnell's canteen book. This fascinating study backed by beautiful surviving specimens, is a valuable reference to both collector and re-enactor alike. 300 page, Hard bound.