Identified 36th Division, 111th Engineers Helmet

Dave G

Well over thirty years ago I was fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time when a well-known collector of 36th militaria sold his collection to shift his collecting focus. He had a spectacular collection and this helmet, obtained by him directly from the family of the veteran, was his favorite and the last to go. The helmet belonged to Captain William A. Towler, Jr who served throughout WWII with the 111th Combat Engineers Regiment of the 36th Division. The helmet itself is a fixed bail, front seam, stainless rim and khaki straps. There is a lot number stamped on the shell but I can't make it out. Both the helmet and the St. Clair liner are well-marked with Capt. Towler's initials. The liner has painted captain's bars but no divisional/regimental markings as does the shell. The unit insignia on the left of the shell is an obsolete design for the 111th Engineers, though I couldn't find much more about it. I've included a photo of Capt. Towler wearing the helmet in Germany either late in the war or just after the war ended. The photo is a bit dark but in hand you can see a slight bend in the rim. I've included a photo of the helmet in which you can clearly see the bend. I've just purchased a new camera so I'm going to practice by posting a few of the helmets in my collection that I feel are interesting. Thanks for looking. There are about six photos so it may take a bit to get them all uploaded.

Dave

post-4484-0-36367500-1498573863.jpg

That's an amazing find! Especially with the photographic documentation - it's often very hard to pin down an officer's helmet to wartime use.

Very cool - always great to see a war-time engineer marked helmet. Its great that you have photo documentation of the pot in use.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...