MOLLE II large ruck question

The Meatcan

The Meatcan

I’m hoping someone on The Forum can clear up a question on this type of ruck. Inside the large ruck, on either side, is a flap protecting two Velcro patches. These flaps are located about the same height inside the ruck as the zippered flaps that separate the upper half of the pack from the lower sleep system compartment. What is the function of these Velcro patches? Just to the left and right of the Velcro patches are the metal loops for securing the radio pouch but I’m not sure how or if the Velcro is part of that arrangement or for something else.

I'll attach a couple of pix showing the Velcro patches in both their open and closed positions if that helps.

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated!

Terry

post-1208-0-81424500-1498497369.jpg post-1208-0-27756800-1498497394.jpg

The Meatcan

bump for the weekend...

nobody knows? C'mon Forum! With all the active-duty members here, someone must know the answer to this burning question!

Help me out here, please. :)

Thanks for ANY help.

Terry

I have a guess but its only a guess. If the zipper fails you can sew the sides together as the grommet holes line up. The flaps with velcro match up the the velcro on the grommet flaps. The flaps would keep stuff from falling into the sleep system area of the pack. Again just a guess. I have looked for some kind of documentation but can.t find any.

Bob

The Meatcan

Bob, thanks for your reply. Your idea sounds fully plausible and reasonable. I never did find anything on this topic in the training manual.

The older FPLIF pack (CF-90 as some call it) has the internal separator with no zipper, just the lace-up grommets. So I figured that's how the MOLLE II ruck worked too. I didn't realize that those Velcro flaps on the sides could be used to reinforce the separator flap when laced-up. Seems like a nice evolutionary improvement on the older pack system.

thanks again for your help Bob!

Terry