Collar Disk Insignia: MG Co. 7th Inf. Rgmt

mccooper

Recently picked up a uniform from the 3rd division, 7th MG Company, ostensibly named to a Bent Hanson. My understanding is that there was one MG Co. per regiment, attached to HQ. Is that correct, and what, then was the divisional MG Battalion? How did their duties differ? Thank you for any elaboration on the two units.

Mccooper

post-151387-0-04682100-1498431185.jpg

This collar disk is for the 7th Machine Gun Battalion, 3rd Division. Each regiment in a division had assigned to it one machine gun company, just like any other company in the regiment. It was known as Machine Gun Company, XX Infantry Regiment. In addition, each brigade had a separate machine gun battalion, and these were numbered. Each division had an additional machine gun battalion, also numbered. The brigade battalions had four companies each, Company A, B, C, and D, while the division MG Battalion had only two companies. So, each division had fourteen machine gun companies. I hope this makes sense. Incidentally, read up on the 7th MG Battalion, it performed heroic duty at Chateau Thierry on the banks of the Marne in late May 1918.

Best,

Pete

From what I understand the regimental battalions always stuck with the regiment they were assigned to. While the division unit was in reserve and was sent to what ever unit needed it the most at any given time.

Hope this helps.

Why couldn't the disc be for MG Company, 7th Infantry Regiment (company designation below/regiment number above the crossed rifles)?

Why couldn't the disc be for MG Company, 7th Infantry Regiment (company designation below/regiment number above the crossed rifles)?

ATB and David D,

You're probably right and I stand corrected. I am not an expert on the disks, so I probably shouldn't have commented on the disk itself. I think I got the unit organizations correct though.

Thanks,

Pete

Pretty sure there was a separate MG disc. I believe a MG battalion had "MG" above the rifles with company letters below. The battalion number would be on the "U.S." disc. I will have to check my Emerson or Scipio references to confirm.

I don't consider it sperate as it's just an infantry disc with MG over it just like company letters.

There is also a disc with just the letters "MG" on it. Again, I'll have to check a reference source.

• 2 months later...

MG above rifles is machine gun battalion. MG below the rifles is machine gun company. Machine gun battalions had the company letter below the rifles. No number was worn by machine gun battalions on the crossed rifle discs. USAFnav has given the proper configuration of machine gun units in the AEF. MHJ