9 replies to this topic

#1 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
    • Member ID: 594
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

Greetings!

I have had several requests to post some WW1 Female uniforms here on the US Militaria Forum. So to get this started (this will be an ongoing series over the coming weeks--until I get tired or run out of women's uniforms) here is an example of the WW1 Red Cross Canteen Service uniform (apron and coif).

This uniform was probably for wear at a stateside canteen. The Red Cross struggled with standardization during the war, and never really achieved it. This uniform is a good representative of the Stateside Red Cross Canteen uniform; a lightweight blue apron of Horizon Blue cloth, and matching coif with horizon blue veil."

It should be noted that variations of the neckline, belt, button on cuffs, general configuration of the coif, etc will almost certainly be noted. Generally speaking, a Canteen Worker uniform should be "horizon blue" however, I have noted them in dark blue, and white. Other colors are certainly possible.

CanteenWorker2.jpg

Close up of the Coif. Note the "A.R.C. Canteen Worker" insignia.

CanteenWorker1.jpg

#2 fraukriegbaum

fraukriegbaum
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,179
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Greetings!

I have had several requests to post some WW1 Female uniforms here on the US Militaria Forum. So to get this started (this will be an ongoing series over the coming weeks--until I get tired or run out of women's uniforms) here is an example of the WW1 Red Cross Canteen Service uniform (apron and coif).

This uniform was probably for wear at a stateside canteen. The Red Cross struggled with standardization during the war, and never really achieved it. This uniform is a good representative of the Stateside Red Cross Canteen uniform; a lightweight blue apron of Horizon Blue cloth, and matching coif with horizon blue veil."

It should be noted that variations of the neckline, belt, button on cuffs, general configuration of the coif, etc will almost certainly be noted. Generally speaking, a Canteen Worker uniform should be "horizon blue" however, I have noted them in dark blue, and white. Other colors are certainly possible.

CanteenWorker2.jpg

Close up of the Coif. Note the "A.R.C. Canteen Worker" insignia.

CanteenWorker1.jpg

Good to see this uniform in color. I've seen this uniform only in black and white photo of ARC in France.

#3 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:43 AM

Beautiful uniform Chris! Thanks for the great post, as always.

Mark

#4 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Beautiful uniform Chris! Thanks for the great post, as always.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks! Believe it or not, found that one under "vintage" back on ebay before people had a better idea about how the categories worked.

When I got it, it was hemmed up for a child; probably to wear as a costume, (which you can see in the folds around the skirt)

Chris

#5 T-Bone

T-Bone
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,772
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

Mark,

Thanks! Believe it or not, found that one under "vintage" back on ebay before people had a better idea about how the categories worked.

When I got it, it was hemmed up for a child; probably to wear as a costume, (which you can see in the folds around the skirt)

Chris

Might not have been a child, my grandmum was wering one of these during WW1 and she was 5 feet on the toes of her feet. It was how she met my grandad:)

Amazing to see it done up so nice though, thanks.

T-Bone

#6 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

Chris, You certainly must have been pleased with that find! Here's a studio photo that I nabbed off ebay, also several years back. Sure would love to have her canteen worker's uniform, expecially the hat.

Attached Images

• DSC03904.JPG

#7 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

Thought this was such a cool uniform that I wanted to bumpt it back to the top again.

#8 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Thought this was such a cool uniform that I wanted to bumpt it back to the top again.

Mark,

Just pulled another coif off of ebay:

coif.jpg
WW1 YMCA Canteen Worker Coif

#9 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

How'd I miss that one?? Oh yeah I'm at the militaria show in Minneapolis. Hardly any WW1 groups out here and definitely no WW1 female items. Beautiful piece Christ!

#10 gamsdivision1944

gamsdivision1944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 21,314
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

very nice!
Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)