82nd patch good or repo?

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Saw this 82nd patch in a local antique store. I think it's bad, but, but like to hear from the audience.

post-9131-0-98455400-1498143133_thumb.jpg

MilitaryPicker1941

Looks like one of the repros coming out of Vietnam now. Plus I haven't seen any modern theatre made patch that looked like this

I can't quite make out what the base color is supposed to be...olive or some version of tan.

That funky green thread has shown up in a lot of Korean made patches that were made for GI use in Korea in the early 1980's. Plus it looks like it may have been mounted to a scrap book. So I am not quite ready to write it off as a repro.

easterneagle87

Better shot of the back. I should have added, it was listed as "Vietnam". Am still skeptical

post-9131-0-81904300-1498166702_thumb.jpg

MilitaryPicker1941

To me this patch looks similar in construction to a lot of strike-force-7 patches. Here's an example of one

post-111785-0-00988700-1498167659_thumb.jpg

MilitaryPicker1941

Reverse

I might be wrong, but my gut is telling me that the patch that started this thread isn't good

post-111785-0-56253900-1498167683_thumb.jpg

I know why you are suspicious of the 82nd patch, and the reproductions coming out of Vietnam are the first thing that come to mind. But there are significant differences between these two patches.

The backing material is not the same. The material on the 82nd is more solid, the Mike force one looks loser woven.

Look at the reverse threads on the 82nd behind the "AA" portion. This looks like done by a hand guided sewing machine that would have been typical of the 1970's and 80's.

Then look at the weave of the skull and cross bones of the Mike Force patch. This one was made by a computer guided modern machine.

The backside of the Mike Force patch has suffered artificial aging, most likely by tea or coffee staining to make it look older. There is no such abuse of the 82nd patch.

There are a lot of fakes coming out of Vietnam, made a lot of different ways. But that funky green thread is almost a signature for early Korean made subdued patches. If this was cheap ($10), I'd pick it up on the chance it was good. But you have to have a comfort level with these. If you still have doubts, walk away.

easterneagle87

At the tag price of $20. I'm walking away. Not like it's going any where soon. Here's (what I would think as well) is a bad "Vietnam" 101st patch that is being sold along side. Maybe this a is more evidence that since they are together it leads in a direction away from the truth.

post-9131-0-65652300-1498173375.jpg

Patchcollector

I agree that the OP patch has the look of copies coming out of present day Asia.It even has the glued on paper that many of the repros are now sporting in an effort to fool collectors.easterneagle87,I think that you did well to walk away from this one.Just my two pesos.

The other patch that is with it is a modern copy too IMO.

The 101st is definately fake.

A common reacurring trend to see these new made patches in antique mall.

Local SF vet showed me some SOG patches he picked up last year in Arizona where he winters.He said they are just like the ones he had...not so much.They were new made.He wanted them to sew on a jacket.Told him they were perfect for that.I didnt say they were fake and it wouldnt have mattered to him in the least as he isnt a collector.

THis brings up the next/latest evolution thats happening.The items coming from vets as they are buying them on line or in shops as replacements then they filter through the estate and people will see them as real.Not a new scenario at any rate as the WW2-Korea vets had done this to some extent with reunion patches etc but seems more common place now with the internet and availability of the reproductions

I think the 82nd patch was made in Iraq....

Now that you have said that, the white cloth on the back does look like some of the material used on some of the early Desert Storm patches made in theater.

The 101sthe patch is a definite fake, but not related to the 82nd patch in any real way.

easterneagle87

I don't think the 82nd is Iraq made. With the other 3 patches it was stuck to the board with, they were listed as Vietnam.

Patchcollector

I've seen modern copies from Vietnam with the same construction style as the 82nd patch being discussed here.