restoring a SPH-4

scottermac

I bought a SPH-4 recently and the ear cups are shot. I have replacements inbound. I was wondering whats the best way to attach the speakers inside the cups and the best way to seuce the foam inserts. What type of glue would you recommend?

The foam is pocketed and the speaker just lays in it.The foam will stay in by itself without glue.There are plenty of drawings showing the order of things.

Good luck.

Oh,what does seuce mean?

'seuce' was a typo on my part. I meant to say 'secure'.

phantomfixer,

I found a few flight helmet sites online. Infact all my replacement pieces should be here today.

I worked on SPH-4s and IHADSS helmets in the army, no glue required (or recommended) for the earcup pads, and the foam holds the speakers in place. I may still have a SPH-4 maintenance manual somewhere.

I worked on SPH-4s and IHADSS helmets in the army, no glue required (or recommended) for the earcup pads, and the foam holds the speakers in place. I may still have a SPH-4 maintenance manual somewhere.

Is it just one piece of foam per side?

Two pieces.

TM 1-8415-215-12&Pc. Retention Assembly (Figure 1-3). The yoke-style retention assembly minimizes forward rotation of the helmet and reduces chinstrap stretch during use, thus providing a high level of protection. This assembly consists of V-shaped straps (1) for vertical earcup adjustment, a rear hanger tab (2) for vertical adjustment of the nape area, an adjustable chinstrap (3) with a double D-ring buckle, and adjustable rear nape strap (4) with a hook-and-pile closure for Individual sizing.

d. Earcup (Figure 1-3). The earcups protect hearing by reducing noise; they also flex to absorb lateral impact. The earcups can be rotated within the retention assembly to optimize fit. Each earcup (6) features a cushioned earseal (9).An earphone holder (8) and a filler pad (7) house the earphone inside the earcup. If further fitting is needed, spacer pads(5) can be installed on the back of each earcup.

post-32676-0-08829500-1498247528_thumb.jpg

MattS, Thanks for your assistance. I'll post pics when I finish. I'm just waiting on a couple of parts.

• 1 month later...

Where can I find one of these screws? I lost one during the restoration process. And yes, I already checked Home Depot and Lowes. Thanks.

Where can I find some hardware screws? I lost one during the restoration process. And yes, I already checked Home Depot and Lowes. Thanks.

Where on the helmet is the screw? If you have a matching one,post a picture so length can be determined. I know I have extras around,need to know exactly what to look for. Be more than happy to sent it to you.

Bob

Heres a photo of the screw and a photo of where it goes. It appears to be an 8x32 standard screw 3/8" in length. The screw attaches one of the earcup retention straps to the outter shell.

Thanks for your help.

post-17757-0-61650900-1501240204_thumb.jpg

post-17757-0-85547000-1501240224_thumb.jpg